PDA

View Full Version : Brass Vs Nylon Barrel Brush

Totosdad
05-04-2020, 10:47 AM
I am by no means a weapons expert, I just saw two video's on rifle cleaning.

First "Expert" said a brass brush will not harm your barrel.

Second "Expert" said to only use a nylon brush because a brass one will harm the barrel.

Sure would like to get some thought's on both

Thank's

Stumpkiller
05-04-2020, 11:48 AM
I prefer bronze brushes (lately been buying BoreTech products) - pushed and pulled in only one direction (from the breech end) while they are in the bore (that is - don't reverse it while compressed in the bore).

Rather than relying on a lot of mechanical scrubbing I use Barnes CR-10 occasionally to remove copper fouling.

Whether "more aggressive" is "too aggressive" I can pretty much assure you that if you ever shoot unjacketed lead bullets (rifle or pistol) you either use bronze/brass brushes or you have a leading problem. You can probably harm your bore equally with Nylon if you don't use some care. A one-piece rod is a great investment

Rob01
05-04-2020, 04:59 PM
I have only ever used bronze brushes on all my match rifles and all have been very accurate. Not changing direction in the bore is good advice. I push mine down from the chamber through the bore guide and once they completely exit the muzzle I slowly pull back in until brush is in bore and then pull it back. Going to keep doing it no matter what any "experts" say as I trust my own experience. ;)

sharpshooter
05-04-2020, 05:23 PM
I am by no means a weapons expert, I just saw two video's on rifle cleaning.

First "Expert" said a brass brush will not harm your barrel.

Second "Expert" said to only use a nylon brush because a brass one will harm the barrel.

Sure would like to get some thought's on both

Thank's

The first expert was right......the second expert is not an expert.

hamiltonkiler
05-04-2020, 06:16 PM
Where to start. Ok.
I grew up never thinking about it. Many rifles and bullets later.

Then some one tells you something. And you listen and do it and trial with it and then over think. Then remember that rifle you had that shot so good that you never touched cleaning wise or really took care of.

Then you get into some decent range learning what the hell a scope does, what all the numbers mean... MOA/Mil...
what numbers you have for your gun and loads to match. Maybe different loads different numbers. DOPE on all your guns/loads written down on cards.

Your buddy is a Seal and gets you down the worm hole on the whole thing. What it really takes to hit something when you pull the trigger.

I’m not a ragged hole bench shooter with a centerfire. Can’t afford it. Don’t have the interest. I’m not going down the .22lr hole here but.
If you have a real MOA gun and can predict where it’s going to hit at a given yardage you are winning in my book.
Some guns and barrels will some won’t.

I’ve never tried to build a ragged hole centerfire.

All is what I’m saying is a Seal shoots 1000s of rounds out of a gun, heavy hot loads.
Very little maintenance. But very good numbers on each and every firearm.

Put a pile of lead down the pipe. Put a brass bush on a drill with a light copper remover then a light compound and scrub the wheels off of it. Fowl the barrel and go again.

A bench ragged hole shooter might tell you something different.

If you want a predictable rifle. Just shoot it.
Get a scope that works. Go send some bullets down range.

Lol I’m rambling.
I don’t shoot well enough to tell you if it makes a difference or not.

A fresh crown makes a difference.

I wish you were here to bore scope a few rifles I had. You might think your on the moon.
Wanna stand at 1000 and see how close I can get?

Don’t believe in the snake oil.
I’m not a ragged hole bench shooter.
I’m really not that good of a shot.

Brass and scrub is my cleaning procedure.
Then dry patch the crud out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yobuck
05-05-2020, 08:51 AM
As for the lead bullets, smallbore competitors tend to clean their guns when the gun tells them, and thats usually not often.
I tend to be of the same mindset with all of my guns, but then i dont try to beat anybody either.
For quite awhile i lived very close to where Bore Tec products were made, in SE Pa.
And i used Eliminator with a bronze brush for copper, and a product called Slick for carbon.
Mainly because thats what the experts i knew were using, and they told me i should also.
Then a couple years back one of the experts told me about a product called (Wipeout), and all you do is wipeout the barrel with it.
Use a Nylon brush if necessary, but mostly patches till they stop turning blue.
So at this point at least im using nylon brushes and liking them more, at least till im told something different.
But i still pour some Hoppes around the camp, just to add to the atmosphere.

gbflyer
05-06-2020, 10:49 AM
Lots of opinions. For me it’s a bronze brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

celltech
05-06-2020, 12:56 PM
I quit using any metal brushes. With the cleaners available today I find that I only need a nylon brush to scrub the carbon out.

mike4045
05-06-2020, 08:30 PM
I do not clen every time I shoot, usually 200-300 rounds, then use a bronze brush, no issues yet, ymmv.

Robinhood
05-06-2020, 11:56 PM
Brush? You don't need no stinking brush.

Fuj'
05-07-2020, 04:58 PM
Depending on the circumstance, I'll use both. probably use the
bronze more often. It's amazing how good the Chems work today
compared to when most of us were younger. Yeah, the phone was
in the kitchen, black and white TV, and that smell of Hoppes. It was
the only game in town.

rifrench
05-08-2020, 11:34 AM
I use Wipe Out for copper fouling, and use but not as bada nylon brush with a non brass wire twist holding the bristles. If you use a brush with any brass in it, you will not see the end of blue on your patch.

jim_k
05-14-2020, 06:49 PM
Bronze brush with BoreTech Carbon cleaner, 15-20 strokes. I like to use a brush that is one caliber over the size of the bore. Then 4-6 patches soaked in BoreTech carbon clear. After that, 2 dry patches. Put a sliver of paper from the shredder down the bore, and let the room light reflect on it, to show if there's any copper on the lands. If copper is present, put BoreTech Copper cleaner on a one-caliber oversized nylon brush, and give it 10-15 trips down and back. Let that sit 15 minutes, then one dry patch. Check for copper fouling again. If there isn't any copper (bore looks like a mirror), run 4-5 patches with BoreTech Carbon clear, then 2 dry patches. All done. This method is a hybrid of George Gardner's and David Tubb's methods. Only rarely is a second application of Copper cleaner required. Barrels that have been lapped often clean with just the carbon cleaner. Of course, I'm no expert, so don't anybody do what I recommend, or your barrel might melt.