PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 10 FCP-SR Replacement Stock Advice.

GaCop
05-03-2020, 03:14 PM
A friend of mine just picked up one used in a Macon Georgia gun shop for $500, it's chambered 6.5 Creedmoor. He's not too crazy about the factory stock and wants to replace it with an aftermarket model. What would forum members recommend that's reasonably priced compared to a chassis system? I'm thinking Choate but don't think their stocks will work with AICS mags he wants to go with to replace the factory ones. Forgot to add, it's an accustock with accu-trigger.

lonestardiver
05-03-2020, 03:23 PM
The chaote stocks can be inletted for the bottom metal to use the AICS magazines. Someone will come along with the name of the company with the bottom metal pieces as my mind is drawing a blank. (CDI???)

Ted_Feasel
05-03-2020, 04:00 PM
A friend of mine just picked up one used in a Macon Georgia gun shop for $500, it's chambered 6.5 Creedmoor. He's not too crazy about the factory stock and wants to replace it with an aftermarket model. What would forum members recommend that's reasonably priced compared to a chassis system? I'm thinking Choate but don't think their stocks will work with AICS mags he wants to go with to replace the factory ones. Forgot to add, it's an accustock with accu-trigger.Check our archangel stocks.. pretty nice i own one and price is very reasonable

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Doubs
05-03-2020, 07:58 PM
H-S Precision makes a nice tactical stock for your friend's rifle. I have one on my Savage 10 FCP-K and like it. I bought mine from Stocky's Stocks; $399.

lastedtiger
05-11-2020, 02:43 PM
Tell your friend to look at chassis like MDT , KRG or Oryx .

Ted_Feasel
05-11-2020, 03:16 PM
I really like arch angel stocks.. they come with needed trigger guard to swap to lower bolt release and it comes with a 7 round magazine

https://promagindustries.com/archangel-precision-elite-stock-for-the-savage-model-10-11-short-action-black-polymer-includes-aa133-05-7-rd-with-5-rd-limiter-type-d-magazine/

jkv45
05-12-2020, 07:46 AM
I really like arch angel stocks.. they come with needed trigger guard to swap to lower bolt release and it comes with a 7 round magazine

https://promagindustries.com/archangel-precision-elite-stock-for-the-savage-model-10-11-short-action-black-polymer-includes-aa133-05-7-rd-with-5-rd-limiter-type-d-magazine/

Sure can't beat the price ($169).

I've fired a M1A with an Archangel stock, and it shot amazingly well, typically better than a higher grade rifle with a standard stock.

The M1A/M14 guys rip on the Archangel because it's a cheap copy of a JAE aluminum stock, which is pretty much the state of the art for the M1A/M14 but costs about $1500 or so. JAE recently shut down, and sold the rights though.

If cost is a concern, the Archangel stock would be hard to beat. I have a HS Precision stock on a Model 10, but they are more than twice the cost.

Ted_Feasel
05-12-2020, 07:48 AM
Sure can't beat the price ($169).

I've fired a M1A with an Archangel stock, and it shot amazingly well, typically better than a higher grade rifle with a standard stock.

The M1A/M14 guys rip on the Archangel because it's a cheap copy of a JAE aluminum stock, which is pretty much the state of the art for the M1A/M14 but costs about $1500 or so. JAE recently shut down, and sold the rights though.

If cost is a concern, the Archangel stock would be hard to beat. I have a HS Precision stock on a Model 10, but they are more than twice the cost.Yeah I went with the angel because I was looking for something that was budget friendly and still would get the job done and it has been a great stock it fully free floats my barrel it does everything you need

Texas10
05-12-2020, 10:46 AM
I've got one of these but in a blind mag style and it made a shooter out of a 12FV.https://www.eabco.net/Laminated-Thumbhole-Stock-fits-All-Savage-10-Series-Short-Action-Detachable-Mag-Rifles_p_13974.html

Stockrex
05-12-2020, 11:57 AM
Archangel stock - does it have pillars? can someone post a pic of the inside where the action would sit.
Great value!

buckfvr
05-12-2020, 03:35 PM
My FCP/SR in 6.5 was initially very disappointing. 4 types of factory ammo and 3 different bullet types in hand loads all produced +moa groups that were so random it was mind boggling. Factory stock was for sure part of the problem, and since I had built a .243 from a model 12 ss action and added Benchmark barrel then stuffed it into a M40 style stock from stockys, that's where I went with the FCP/SR.

When I looked in the factory stock and at the marks on the factory recoil lug I could determine the contact area of the stock is too small to be fully supportive and also that the marks on the lug were not even, which lead me to get the upgraded recoil lug and barrel nut from NSS. The M40 style stock allows the upgraded lug that is too thick for the factory stock. Anyway, it took a ton of effort to get the factory nut loosed and the barrel out of the action because of all the blasting media/sand ? that was caked in there. Once I cleaned the action and barrel and lightly anti seized it, and reassembled with new lug and nut, stuffed it in the M40 stock, instant halving of the groups. Now I cant say it was one thing or all things I changed, or even the bullet I settled on (Sierra 130 TMK), but after a brief ladder test it settled into sub 1/2 moa at 200 yards. Now my FCP is a favored yote/steel target rig for sure. Lots of things you can try, but Id not skip the recoil lug/barrel nut upgrade if you change stocks.

Flyin6
05-17-2020, 06:41 PM
I would buy another Target/Comp from Bell and Carlson. Solid, light and not too spendy.

Ted_Feasel
05-17-2020, 06:57 PM
Archangel stock - does it have pillars? can someone post a pic of the inside where the action would sit.
Great value!They do have pillars, call them they can give you all the details

Stockrex
05-18-2020, 11:10 AM
Danke, I will call and probably buy one to to try it out ;-)

kdell866
07-16-2020, 06:02 PM
The chaote stocks can be inletted for the bottom metal to use the AICS magazines. Someone will come along with the name of the company with the bottom metal pieces as my mind is drawing a blank. (CDI???)Last summer (2019), I mailed my gun to Jeff at CDI Precision along with my new Boyd's Stock. Jeff converted my gun to fit external mags from Accuracy International and mounted the new stock. He did the inletting. It works perfectly. Unfortunately Jeff passed away a couple weeks after he did my gun. Very nice guy! https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200716/310a31eabf9a9efc2b6dd3af795fa5ae.jpg

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk