PDA

View Full Version : .338 Win Mag

Chandalar Jack
04-30-2020, 03:37 AM
People, came across a straight shooter that I am taking a liking too. Problem tho is the 2nd round is loose/sloppy or don't feed well as bolt strips it out of magazine. Suspect a weak center feed mag spring. Can't find one either. Emailed Savage, probably all home. Any help be appreciated.

Ted_Feasel
04-30-2020, 05:58 AM
People, came across a straight shooter that I am taking a liking too. Problem tho is the 2nd round is loose/sloppy or don't feed well as bolt strips it out of magazine. Suspect a weak center feed mag spring. Can't find one either. Emailed Savage, probably all home. Any help be appreciated.Is it blind or box mag?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Chandalar Jack
04-30-2020, 11:07 AM
Blind box. I don't believe this rifle needs to be parted outright etc, just some tlc. Fired a few rounds like I said and its pretty much a keeper. Plastic stock too.

Ted_Feasel
04-30-2020, 12:38 PM
Blind box. I don't believe this rifle needs to be parted outright etc, just some tlc. Fired a few rounds like I said and its pretty much a keeper. Plastic stock too.If worse comes to worse, you can order memory grade spring steel and make your own spring. Its basically just a flat piece of spring steel the is bent into almost a N shape.. if I remember correctly

rmeyerwy
04-30-2020, 02:22 PM
can you maybe just stretch the existing spring ( I assume its a "Z" spring, out a bit?

Ted_Feasel
04-30-2020, 02:53 PM
can you maybe just stretch the existing spring ( I assume its a "Z" spring, out a bit?I would say yes but have to qualify that yes with 1) I have never done that and 2) I would make sure you had material to make another or replacement part located incase that ruined it.. if robinhood is around, I would ask him or look him up, he seems to be very savage savvy. Theres another guy in here too but I can't remember his username atm.

Chandalar Jack
04-30-2020, 04:44 PM
I did once, may try it again.

Robinhood
04-30-2020, 09:56 PM
can you maybe just stretch the existing spring ( I assume its a "Z" spring, out a bit?

Ted, You give me waaaay to much credit. I am usually just trying to keep the conversation live. The real expert on these matters is "sharpshooter" Fred Moreo.

I think bending or stretching it would be my test. I would be very judicious with whatever I did. Spring steel hardened is not forgiving.

Chandalar Jack
05-01-2020, 12:10 AM
I strained abit, cautiously mind you tweaking the spring. Helped surely but not quite the happy I want. If I further the strain on the spring I maybe heading backwards and not forward. Springs must be difficult to obtain.

Ted_Feasel
05-01-2020, 08:48 AM
Ted, You give me waaaay to much credit. I am usually just trying to keep the conversation live. The real expert on these matters is "sharpshooter" Fred Moreo.

I think bending or stretching it would be my test. I would be very judicious with whatever I did. Spring steel hardened is not forgiving.Sharpshooter.. that was the other one I was thinking of but you also seem to have a good knowledge of savage rifles. Me on the other hand, I really just know the ones I own.. now ARs, I'm a master armorer and at the risk of sounding arrogant, not much about them I don't know. There is a AR15-7.62X39 that is pretty much finished, just waiting on the buffer assembly to arrive:) can't wait to try her out, she should be a tac driver. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200501/41f22f25223e39b5c4454127dbf0690e.jpg

Ted_Feasel
05-01-2020, 06:30 PM
I strained abit, cautiously mind you tweaking the spring. Helped surely but not quite the happy I want. If I further the strain on the spring I maybe heading backwards and not forward. Springs must be difficult to obtain.Did you by chance call or email savage? I would be suprised if they didn't have it. I've bought a few parts from them and they were reasonably priced.

Chandalar Jack
05-02-2020, 01:05 AM
Yes, its obsolete. Any firearm made with the Savage brand has to be 1995 or "newer" to obtain replacement parts. Up the creek now.
Thanks.

Ted_Feasel
05-02-2020, 08:57 AM
Yes, its obsolete. Any firearm made with the Savage brand has to be 1995 or "newer" to obtain replacement parts. Up the creek now.
Thanks.Dang, that blows. Sounds like best bet is making a new one.

yobuck
05-02-2020, 11:51 AM
Sharpshooter.. that was the other one I was thinking of but you also seem to have a good knowledge of savage rifles. Me on the other hand, I really just know the ones I own.. now ARs, I'm a master armorer and at the risk of sounding arrogant, not much about them I don't know. There is a AR15-7.62X39 that is pretty much finished, just waiting on the buffer assembly to arrive:) can't wait to try her out, she should be a tac driver. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200501/41f22f25223e39b5c4454127dbf0690e.jpg

Well, Ahem, i was in ordnance, (long before ARs) and my MOS was small arms repairmans helpers assistant. So i suppose im sort of an armour aller myself with a couple of bad thumbs to proove it. lol

Ted_Feasel
05-02-2020, 12:09 PM
Well, Ahem, i was in ordnance, (long before ARs) and my MOS was small arms repairmans helpers assistant. So i suppose im sort of an armour aller myself with a couple of bad thumbs to proove it. lolLol, I would recon ordinance could be dangerous;) I've made my rookie mistakes when I was younger. Anyone can slap together milspec AR15 parts and have a working and probably pretty reliable rifle. The art is in building precision ARs especially big bores due to their lack of standardization. I've seen alot of builders get into money traps when they decide to go big bore. No shame in asking someone that knows and most issues can be resolved by doing your homework. I see some of the stuff people go through accurizing their AR15s and I just scratch my head and wonder ... why but heck, I recon if they didn't have the fortune of a master machinist as I did then I probably shouldn't say much.. heck, ill give a free tip here to everyone thats a AR builder. Use BCM uppers. You'll eliminate about 3 things in making a more accurate AR:)

Robinhood
05-02-2020, 12:14 PM
What do you think about shrink fit uppers Ted?

Ted_Feasel
05-02-2020, 12:21 PM
What do you think about shrink fit uppers Ted?Thats kinda how the BCM upper is, you have to heat it with a blow dryer or heat gun to relax the face so your extensions will slip in.. i think thats the way to go. Ive built several and did not have to use any of the other step folks use to prevent micro movement

Ted_Feasel
05-02-2020, 12:38 PM
What do you think about shrink fit uppers Ted?I think i like bravos approach to it better, rather than using heat or cool to create the interference, they are machined with interference and you only need hair dryer heat to relax the interference and then when as it cools the interference returns. Seems to be a much simpler approach to interference fitting. But to be fair, I have never built with uppers that require hot or cold to shrink after the fact so I can't really say I've seen the difference on targets like I have with the BCM uppers. BCM and aero I've never had to true the reciever face but aeroprecision doesn't have interference fit. Wish they did though.