PDA

View Full Version : Can I Build My Own?

Phil3
10-05-2009, 12:10 PM
I would like to have a Savage rifle for casual benchrest type shooting, either off a bipod or rest, and would like to build my own. Seem like I can put one together for little more than buying the gun new, and perhaps have a better barrel and stock. Was looking at a Savage RBLP action, 6mmBR barrel from Krieger (if they will do this), and perhaps a SharpShooterSupply stock, all for perhaps $1,100, roughly the same as a new factory Savage target rifle at a discount. What I don't know anything about is putting the stock and the action/barrel assembly together. The bedding process, "pillars", etc. are a mystery. Is this something I need to have a gunsmith do, or just have someone else construct the ideal Savage for me?

- Phil

groupshooter22
10-05-2009, 12:20 PM
If you go with a Kreiger it will be a blank and will have to be chambered and threaded. SSS stocks come with pillars already installed but will probably need the recoil lug bedded. If you have any mechanical aptitude you will not have any problems putting it all together yourself as long as you have the right tools, barrel nut wrench, action wrench, and headspace gauges.

sinman
10-05-2009, 12:49 PM
I would build my own also as I always do and as stated by groupshooter the krieger barrels are just blanks and you will need a smith to chamber and thread them.

82boy
10-05-2009, 01:03 PM
SSS has chambered many Krieger barrels, and if you supply them the blank they can chamber one for you. SSS stocks come bedded, with pillars installed. SSS could save you the trouble and assemble the gun for you, or sell you the needed tool to do the work yourself. SSS is a one stop shop. If you look in the articles section of this site, you will find a article on installing barrels, and bedding stocks. Krieger barrels are good, (I have one I love.) but I can not say they are any better than other custom barrels. (Brux, Douglass, Heart, Shilen.)

sinman
10-05-2009, 05:44 PM
It is actually harder to find a bad aftermarket barrel marker than it is to find a good one.

stevec
10-05-2009, 06:16 PM
It is actually harder to find a bad aftermarket barrel marker than it is to find a good one.

That is THE quote of the day. People always ask what my favorite barrel is...The one i'm shooting today!

Like said before, if you have any mechanical aptitude at all, you can build a savage that will shoot great. If you run into trouble there is lots of info here to help!

Steve