PDA

View Full Version : Barrel life

Mr.Snerdly
04-29-2020, 05:29 PM
About how long should my barrel last before accuracy falls off? I know that has many variables but I plan on shooting 75-90 grain bullets in the 243 and 50-60 grains in the 22-250. I will load both between minimum velocity and maximum, probably a little below half way in between unless there is some accuracy benefit from a higher charge. These both have the standard carbon steel barrel. The 22-250 does have the heavy barrel if that makes any difference.

celltech
04-29-2020, 05:36 PM
Too many variables to give you a number. The hotter you load it, and the hotter you heat the barrel up the less the life will be. Just enjoy it knowing that with the barrel nut you can easily swap it out when it no longer meets your expectations.

Ted_Feasel
04-29-2020, 06:39 PM
I believe stag arms (very reputable compant) has a infinite barrel life guarantee.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

6mmBR_Shooter
04-29-2020, 10:12 PM
For general range plinking I would bet you will see at least 2500 rounds on both barrels before you start noticing accuracy dropping off at longer ranges. If you're keeping it at 300 yards and under, probably at least a thousand or two more on each one. The few barrels I've shot out would still do fine at 100/200 but groups started opening up at 600 yards, which didn't work well for competitions.

sharpshooter
04-30-2020, 12:55 AM
It's not a matter of how many shots, it's a matter of how much powder you burn in it. On the average it takes about 12 lbs of powder to render a barrel non competitive.

tobnpr
04-30-2020, 06:29 PM
It's a function of powder burned, and bore diameter- and time between shots/strings.
Take a .308.
Sending 45 grains down the .308 bore- many, many thousands of rounds. Send 45 grains down a 6mm bore- a fraction of that life.

To be clear, we're talking about the throat- not the rifling when we talk about a barrel being "shot out".
Throat erosion is exacerbated by heat. Forcing the gases through an overbore condition increases heat. So does "too long" shot strings, and inadequate time between them for barrel cooling.
This is why we use the heaviest contour we can handle for target sticks. More mass, more ability to absorb heat...

12 lbs. = 84,000 grains.
84,000 / 45= 1,866 rounds.

Easily 3-4 times that many rounds of life in a .308 barrel- provided common sense is used by the shooter.

"Non-competetive" perhaps, but most shooters frequenting this forum aren't BR competitors that discard a barrel at the slightest drop-off in accuracy.

Barrels are like tires, treat 'em as well as you can; when they're done re-barrel, set-back, or just get another rifle if it's cheap enuf.

I'm building myself a 7 STW just for the hell of it. Be lucky to get 750 rounds out of it before I ditch it or set it back, but it'll be fun...

Ted_Feasel
04-30-2020, 07:00 PM
It's a function of powder burned, and bore diameter- and time between shots/strings.
Take a .308.
Sending 45 grains down the .308 bore- many, many thousands of rounds. Send 45 grains down a 6mm bore- a fraction of that life.

To be clear, we're talking about the throat- not the rifling when we talk about a barrel being "shot out".
Throat erosion is exacerbated by heat. Forcing the gases through an overbore condition increases heat. So does "too long" shot strings, and inadequate time between them for barrel cooling.
This is why we use the heaviest contour we can handle for target sticks. More mass, more ability to absorb heat...

12 lbs. = 84,000 grains.
84,000 / 45= 1,866 rounds.

Easily 3-4 times that many rounds of life in a .308 barrel- provided common sense is used by the shooter.

"Non-competetive" perhaps, but most shooters frequenting this forum aren't BR competitors that discard a barrel at the slightest drop-off in accuracy.

Barrels are like tires, treat 'em as well as you can; when they're done re-barrel, set-back, or just get another rifle if it's cheap enuf.

I'm building myself a 7 STW just for the hell of it. Be lucky to get 750 rounds out of it before I ditch it or set it back, but it'll be fun...I'm thinking about getting a stag arms for another precision AR10 I'm building.. they claim infinite shootout warranty thats transferable.. really curious to see how they shoot and hold up

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

drybean
04-30-2020, 08:04 PM
About 6 seconds

tric3imagery
04-30-2020, 09:33 PM
True, that said Gas Gun is quick to rebarrel, usually find what you want somewhere, versus most Bolt rifles may take 4+months to get a barrel made

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Txhillbilly
05-02-2020, 01:58 PM
True, that said Gas Gun is quick to rebarrel, usually find what you want somewhere, versus most Bolt rifles may take 4+months to get a barrel made

It's actually quicker to swap out a barrel on a Savage than it is on an AR.

charlie b
05-02-2020, 03:27 PM

Depends on what you are looking for. Many bolt and gas gun barrels around, including match grade in common calibers. But, if you want a very specific type and highest quality I bet you have to wait for either type. For example, I can get a Krieger barrel for my Savage in 6.5 right now, but, not an AR15 barrel. But, if I want a 6BR then I'd have to wait.

I do have to admit that there are only two reasons I don't own an AR. Ugly, and I would burn up too much ammunition too fast :)