PDA

View Full Version : New Savage 338 Lapua Magnum Offerings - Share you experience

Stockrex
04-29-2020, 12:40 PM
Greetings!

I have had the 338 itch for a while.

I see savage has come out with a bunch of different 338 offerings in chassis stocks with magazine.

How are these new savage 338 Lapuas?

Ted_Feasel
04-29-2020, 06:28 PM
Greetings!

I see savage has come out with a bunch of different 338 offerings in chassis stocks with magazine.

How are these new savage 338 Lapuas?Make sure you get a muzzle break lol.. without a break i was hurting after 5 rounds

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Ted_Feasel
04-29-2020, 06:31 PM
Make sure you get a muzzle break lol.. without a break i was hurting after 5 rounds

Sent from my SM-N975U using TapatalkYour using about double the charge of a 308 win.. one hell of a thump. Even after putting a break on mine I still can't shoot a whole lot.. bastard just kicks like a pissed off mule:)

tobnpr
05-01-2020, 05:33 PM
110BA last fall.
Shoots fine (about 3/4 minute), despite one hell of an ugly barrel when borescoped.
Going to get an adapter to put a PRS buttstock on it, factory pretty much sucks; hard to get a comfortable cheekweld for me.

Natch, you need a lot of real estate to justify owning one...and ya better handload unless you've got really deep pockets.

Stockrex
05-01-2020, 08:50 PM
Ted, I hear with a muzzle break the recoil matches a 22 LR ;-), I plan on adding 20 lbs of weight to the rifle to tame it.

Tobnpr, did you get the old style 110 ba? or one of the newer chassis ones?

yeah, I borescoped my 300 win mag LRH and wow, lots of tool marks and yucky looking barrel from savage. But from what i have read, they still shoot good.

Ted_Feasel
05-01-2020, 08:59 PM
Ted, I hear with a muzzle break the recoil matches a 22 LR ;-), I plan on adding 20 lbs of weight to the rifle to tame it.

yeah, I borescoped my 300 win mag LRH and wow, lots of tool marks and yucky looking barrel from savage. But from what i have read, they still shoot good.Lmbo I don't know about the 22lr part but tool marks are not necessarily a bad thing..in fact tool marks "COULD " INDICATE the bore has some life left as long as there isn't stress cracks and the throat has not eroded to much.. but again if its not showing the signs that indicate a catastrophic failure could occur and your happy with its performance then shoot er till she's done lol. The weight will definitely help too.

bearcatrp
05-05-2020, 08:55 PM
I had a 110 FCP. Good shooter. Shoulder fatigue after 10 rounds. If your going to hunt with it, the savage is good to go. I sold mine and purchased a RPR 338. Could shoot it all day without shoulder fatigue. No way could I carry it hunting. Sadly, I had to sell it as after 2 back surgeries, the recoil was still getting to me. I miss it though.

tobnpr
05-06-2020, 07:37 PM

yeah, I borescoped my 300 win mag LRH and wow, lots of tool marks and yucky looking barrel from savage. But from what i have read, they still shoot good.

New model, BA Stealth. Didn't get the Evolution because I do Cerakote, but the upgrade with the PRS is worthwhile.

yobuck
05-07-2020, 12:57 PM
Greetings!

How are these new savage 338 Lapuas?
Are you interested in opinions on owning just the Savage 338 Lapua, or opinions on owning a 338 cartridge?