PDA

View Full Version : Shilen rifling ?

Shooter0302
04-23-2020, 10:45 PM
Anyone have any knowledge about the Shilen "ratchet" rifling ?
http://file:///C:/Users/Owner/AppData/Local/Temp/Shilen-Twist-Rates.pdf

Robinhood
04-24-2020, 10:05 AM
There is plenty of information out there. Just do a duckduckgo search. If you are not after the qualities of the 5R, 4R or Ratchet Rifling specifically, you could discuss it with the barrel seller/maker. Most of those guys are willing to give out information and will give you good stuff rather than taking a chance on receiving information that is inaccurate or incomplete. Not to say that some guys on here don't know there chit, they do, but I like to know what the guy thinks that has been making them and refining the process. $.02

Fuj'
04-24-2020, 04:03 PM
There is plenty of information out there. Just do a duckduckgo search. If you are not after the qualities of the 5R, 4R or Ratchet Rifling specifically, you could discuss it with the barrel seller/maker. Most of those guys are willing to give out information and will give you good stuff rather than taking a chance on receiving information that is inaccurate or incomplete. Not to say that some guys on here don't know there chit, they do, but I like to know what the guy thinks that has been making them and refining the process. $.02

I remember when the Rachet rifling was first released. The wording Shilen
had on their site was basically no real claims on better accuracy, but a
major improvement in cleaning. Wording may have changed since then.

Texas10
04-26-2020, 11:45 PM
If you look in the box below your thread called "similar threads" you'll probably find some useful information without doing a whole lot of searching. I can tell you that Shilen makes a Select Match upgrade barrel that is hand lapped and air gaged, and is amongst the best of the aftermarket barrel manufacturers.

Shooter0302
04-28-2020, 03:34 PM
If you look in the box below your thread called "similar threads" you'll probably find some useful information without doing a whole lot of searching. I can tell you that Shilen makes a Select Match upgrade barrel that is hand lapped and air gaged, and is amongst the best of the aftermarket barrel manufacturers.

Texas10, which of their two rifling did you get ,their standard or the ratchet ?? -

Texas10
05-01-2020, 11:38 PM
They weren't ratchet. One is Select match 308 Win, the other is match 6Br. When I buy another it'll be select match.

Sorry I can't provide any information on the ratchet.

Brycar77
06-15-2020, 10:45 AM
I have 2 Shilen match grade barrels which are Ratchet rifled. One in 6mm chambered in .243 and one in .264 chambered in 6.5 Creed. I am a huge fan of the ease of cleaning. After extensive load testing with both I have narrowed them both down to loads that are shooting .326 in 5 shot group at 100 yds out of the .243 and .421 5 shot group at 100 out of the Creedmoor. Both are full bull and heavy as heck but they do shoot!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk