PDA

View Full Version : Final answer ? Screw spacing...

rsbhunter
04-22-2020, 03:37 PM
Searched everywhere I could, still can't find a definitive answer....What is the screw spacing on the new Target actions ? I'm building a rifle for informal br and long range.....I like the Savage F class stock. I have e mailed Savage, and they state the" f class stock accepts the Palma action screw spacing, 3.440". Is the (new production) rbrp, rblp and or dual port action the 3.440 action ? Which action is the Palma action?. Thanks for any help, the stock from Savage is right at $400.00, and I really don't want to buy parts that don't fit.....have a Krieger bbl on order, so I have time to gather the parts...Thanks for any help, and stay sane during this situation....rsbhunter

sharpshooter
04-22-2020, 08:01 PM
Yes, this can be confusing. Originally the only actions that used the 3.440 spacing was the dual port target action. The Palma rifle also used this spacing, but it was only available as a complete rifle.(RBRP) All others were the 4.400 3 screw spacing. Now somewhere in between, target actions starting showing up with both spacing's that were not consistent with normal production. Normally a RBRP and RBLP action will have a 4.400 spacing, but I've seen it in the 3.440. I have also seen the dual port action with a 4.400......so it's like a box of chocolates, you don't ever know what yer gonna get.
It's kinda willy nilly and the action screw spacing will NOT be reflected in the SKU#. This situation started showing up about 5 years ago because of a production screw up where the wrong macro's were called out in the CNC program. Although they were wrong on the build sheet, they were still destined to be "Precision Target actions only", and they let the builder worry about it. Savage has always had a way to fix their little flubs without having to scrap any production in situations like this. They would get revised stocks to fit that particular situation and save a production run. Originally, all the F class rifles used the 4.400 spacing. Chances are that the person you corresponded with doesn't know the whole story and doesn't know that they are available in both configurations.

rsbhunter
04-22-2020, 11:11 PM
sharpshooter, thanks for the info....the place I'm buying the action from was nice enough to measure the action I was looking for, and stated the length at 3.4?? Give or take a little. Think tomorrow I'll call back, verify the bolt spacing, and if it is the 3.440 then I'll have them ship it....Thanks again for the response, I feel better knowing why I couldn't find a straight answer !