PDA

View Full Version : Target Dot Reticle or Plain Crosshairs?

Bill2905
04-20-2020, 05:40 PM
I'm looking at a Sightron SIII 8-32x56 LR for punching paper at 100-300 yards. Can't make up my mind between the fine crosshair reticle and the 0.125 dot reticle.

For those who have used them, what are the pros and cons of using target dot reticles for target shooting?

yobuck
04-20-2020, 06:30 PM
I personaly dont think there are any pros or cons for a reticle unless its intended for a specific purpose.
Your apt to get alot of i like this or i like that, but they are just personal preference remarks for the most part.
A cross hair might offer an edge for keeping the rifle more level, but many dots might show a very fine cross hair also, because thats what they are attached to. Some companies would change it later anyway if you change your mind. At a charge of coarse.

6mmBR_Shooter
04-20-2020, 09:32 PM
I have a S3 10-50 on my FTR rifle, and I was not a fan of the FCH at first. Coming from a lot more experience with more busy reticles with hash marks I found the FCH to take some getting used to. I have shot many other scopes with a target dot and I personally feel that the dot often helps you center on a round target better. If you look at some of the other most popular reticles for known distance paper target shooting (Nightforce, Sightron, Golden Eagle), I would say that a great number of them have a dot in the middle.

Sightron does have a custom shop and can change out your reticle, but last I checked the cost for me wasn't worth it. You'd be better off selling that scope and picking up another with the one you wanted.

I find my FCH to be ok, but if I found someone today who had a target dot and wanted to trade, I'd be more than willing. YMMV, but I personally would go target dot if I was purchasing another target scope (between the two options you mentioned).

Fuj'
04-21-2020, 08:16 AM
My last build, I put on a NF Comp 42x44 FCH. The dot version
which I wanted was no longer available, and caught a good deal
with the FCH. I'm pleased with it. It may be just me but, I seem
to be able to hold tighter as the distance grows.

yobuck
04-21-2020, 10:12 AM
My last build, I put on a NF Comp 42x44 FCH. The dot version
which I wanted was no longer available, and caught a good deal
with the FCH. I'm pleased with it. It may be just me but, I seem
to be able to hold tighter as the distance grows.
Im told there is a product called (group tightener) for that.
Comes in both bottles and cans.

Fuj'
04-21-2020, 12:46 PM
Im told there is a product called (group tightener) for that.
Comes in both bottles and cans.

I also heard suppository's.....LOL

pdog06
05-05-2020, 12:24 PM
Bill I sent ya a pm.

Fwiw, the MOA-2 reticle is my favorite for the Sightrons, but the target dot works good too. If you think you’ll eventually shoot farther than 300 the Moa-2 is nice.

mike4045
05-06-2020, 08:36 PM
I personally like a crosshair, especially at long distance/range, it just seems to help me be more accurate.