PDA

View Full Version : Since the 220 sabot gun is built on a 110 action...

Hokkaido
04-15-2020, 08:31 PM
Could a guy take off the 20 gauge barrel and replace it with say a 30-06 barrel? I know the bolt head would have to be changed and the magazine, but what else? Would the same barrel nut work?

I know it would be simpler to just buy a new rifle, but it's just not a possibility for me at the moment. Has anyone tried this before?

Your help and input is greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to make this work somehow.

P.S. Before the "Use the search" police show up I've already tried with no luck.

sharpshooter
04-15-2020, 11:28 PM
It's not actually built on a 110 action....it only shares the 110 footprint.

Hokkaido
04-16-2020, 02:47 AM
OK thanks for that. Would a 110 barrel fit the 220 receiver? Is this at all possible?

Robinhood
04-16-2020, 08:31 AM
What are you wanting to do? If you could put a barrel on the 220 receiver but you could not fire it what have you accomplished?

The bolt is designed to hold,extract and eject a shotgun shell.
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gunpartscorp.com%2Fpub%2Fprod ucts%2F1732500.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

efm77
04-16-2020, 10:05 AM
What are you wanting to do? If you could put a barrel on the 220 receiver but you could not fire it what have you accomplished?

The bolt is designed to hold,extract and eject a shotgun shell.
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.gunpartscorp.com%2Fpub%2Fprod ucts%2F1732500.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Well if you'll notice, he did acknowledge that he knew he'd have to at least change bolt heads and magazines so I'm pretty sure he knows the current bolt configuration on it won't work with a centerfire rifle cartridge. The 20 gauge receiver appears to be a large shank, so theoretically you could change barrels, bolt head, magazine, etc. I'd bet you'd have to adjust firing pin protrusion as well so might be better to just get a whole new bolt assembly. I'm not sure if the receiver is heat treated the same as the centerfires though being that a shotgun operates at much lower pressures so that might be something worth looking in to as well. Because if it's not, it might not hold up too well.

sharpshooter
04-16-2020, 12:57 PM
There is nothing about this shotgun that would lend itself into a rifle. It was designed and purpose built as a shotgun.....leave it alone.

tobnpr
04-16-2020, 08:31 PM
Depending on configuration (overall length, barrel length), could be illegal.
"Weapon made from a shotgun".

Hokkaido
04-16-2020, 10:12 PM
It’s been designed to fire 300-400gr projectiles at 2000fps and above. The barrels are fully rifled..sounds like a rifle to me.
If it’s simply the large shank I’m really tempted to give it a go. With the large port the 220 has I had originally thought it would be prefect for a 375 h&h, but as efm77 mentioned the action might not be up to snuff so 30-06 it will have to be. I have a shilen blank just begging to be turned.

Robinhood
04-17-2020, 12:22 AM
Can you do me a favor Hokkaido? Measure the OD of the bolt and report back.

bsekf
04-17-2020, 09:50 AM
Listen to Sharpshooter. LEAVE IT ALONE, it was designed as a smokeless powder muzzle loader! It may look like a 110, but it isn't! If you want a rifle.... sell it. There is a demand, and then buy a rifle.

Bill

charlie b
04-17-2020, 04:04 PM
Just don't do it.

Legal. How is it registered? If it says shotgun then that is what you have. Changing it could be in violation of law. Yes, I know the barrel is rifled but the law is weird in this area. Would you get caught? Not if you don't tell anyone about it. But, you've already told a lot of people in this forum, some of whom are law enforcement people.

Engineering. Unless you know the steel and heat treat used in the receiver and bolt, then you are risking a lot. Shotgun pressures are much less than rifles, especially the ones you are discussing. Yes, even the shotgun slug cartridges are 'low pressure' cartridges.