PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone mounted a Nightforce NX8 on a 112 long action

Idaho
04-15-2020, 09:19 AM
I just bought a 112 long action 25-06 and have a Nightforce NX8 on order and I'm thinking about putting that scope on that rifle. The scope is short and the rifle has an internal mag and I'm wondering if a scope rail with a cut out over the bolt will allow sufficient access to the mag well.

Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Thanks

efm77
04-15-2020, 11:19 AM
I've got 116's with Warne one piece rails on them and don't have any issue. It is a little tighter than with two piece bases, but there's still sufficient room to load the magazine.

CFJunkie
04-15-2020, 01:50 PM
I've got a NightForce 8-32x56mm Benchrest mounted on a 12 LRP with the left-side blocked receiver with an external mag.
I used separated scope rail mounts and Burris Signature ZEE high rings.
I've put over 4,000 rounds down range with that set up with out any problems.

I also have the identical scope on a 12 FV both with a hidden mag and later with an Oryx chassis with same rings and mounts and have had no trouble with those set ups either.

Idaho
04-15-2020, 11:00 PM
I've got a NightForce 8-32x56mm Benchrest mounted on a 12 LRP with the left-side blocked receiver with an external mag.
I used separated scope rail mounts and Burris Signature ZEE high rings.
I've put over 4,000 rounds down range with that set up with out any problems.

I also have the identical scope on a 12 FV both with a hidden mag and later with an Oryx chassis with same rings and mounts and have had no trouble with those set ups either.

Is the 12 FV a short action? What caliber?

CFJunkie
04-16-2020, 07:44 AM
6.5mm Creedmoor, short action.

The Benchrest Nightforce is a pretty long scope so if your concern is tube length, my comment might not be helpful.
I thought you might be worried about ring height.

Idaho
04-16-2020, 10:50 AM
CFJunkie, No. My original plan was to put that scope on a sort action Model 10 but in the meantime I purchased the 112 BVSS and it has a cheap scope on it so I figured that the 25-06 would make better use of the NX8 for long range chucks. There is 5.7 inches of tube length on the NX8 and that is about the distance between the two individual scope mounts on the BVSS now. Given the short tube length on the front end of the NX8 I don't know if I will be able to position it for proper eye relief with the existing mounts. That is why I'm wondering if a full length mount with an action cut out will allow adequate access to the box mag. If it will then I should be able to mount the NX8 on the BVSS long action without any problems.

I purchased the NX8 through the Nightforce military discount program and it is still not scheduled for delivery until mid June so I have a lot of time to kill and am thinking about odd stuff. Thanks

charlie b
04-17-2020, 08:07 AM
I have a 12BVSS in .308 with a one piece base for the scope. I can load the mag but it is a little tight. I just shoot at the range so load one round at a time.

Idaho
04-17-2020, 10:03 AM
I have a 12BVSS in .308 with a one piece base for the scope. I can load the mag but it is a little tight. I just shoot at the range so load one round at a time.

Thanks Charlie, I believe the 308 is a short action but at least it tells me what I need to know.

Txhillbilly
04-17-2020, 10:43 AM
I run one piece rails on all of my short and long action Savage's. Both my long actions are blind magazine,I've never had any issues loading them,and I have large hands/fingers.

https://i.imgur.com/nzA4jV4.jpg

Idaho
04-21-2020, 10:59 PM
Tx, thank you. As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words. Nice looking rifle BTW.

want2ride
04-22-2020, 01:13 PM
I run an EGW rail on all of my savages and 2 of them are internal box mags (one a 300 wsm and one a 7x57) and no problem top loading either one.

Idaho
04-23-2020, 09:46 PM
I run an EGW rail on all of my savages and 2 of them are internal box mags (one a 300 wsm and one a 7x57) and no problem top loading either one.

Thanks, apparently I'm over thinking this because I have too much time on my hands.