PDA

View Full Version : 223 ejection problems, model 12

stiff neck
11-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Couple years ago my model 12 223 had some ejection problems. The bolt would extract the spent casing but leave it sitting directly on top of the magazine follower. I had to pick it out with my fingers. I replaced the ejector with a new factory part, spring and ball too. Seemed to fix it. The old bronze part didn't show any wear, but the new part was made from a different material.

Now it's doing it again, same exact problem. Doesn't matter if I work the bolt slow or fast or gentle or hard. About half the time the spent casing is left being sitting on top of the mag follower.

Any ideas? It's not a cleaning issue, I keep this gun sparkling clean. I wish it would fling the old casing out like it's supposed to.

5spd
11-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Replace your extractor. Its happened to 2 of my Savages over time, case drops loose on the magazine. I now keep 2 spare extractors, new spring & balls in my field case.

dcloco
11-03-2010, 08:31 PM
The extractor is doing the job....pulling the case out of the chamber. Problem is the ejector/ejector spring.

You either have some gunk in the round hole the ejector sits in or the spring is getting weak.

With a 0.040" pin punch, with the front of the bolt in a ziplock bag (not kidding), remove the pin that holds the ejector pin in place, push in slightly on the ejector, then, lightly drifting it out, then push in on the ejector, remove the pin punch, and the ziplock will retain the spring.

Solothurn
11-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Replacing the extractor ball bearing with a slightly larger one from Sharp Shooters Supply took care of the same problem in my Savage .223.

5spd
11-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Did you get it back to normal yet? What did you replace?

marky123
11-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Hiya
The dimensions of the boltface are probably too large to allow the ejector to push on the case until it reaches the point where the case is ejected.
MARK

GaCop
11-07-2010, 06:21 AM
Marky123 is correct. Contact Sharp Shooter Supply, Fred makes a longer extractor that holds the case better.

Joe O
11-07-2010, 07:52 AM
I would have thought Savage would have cleared up this problem by now.Call customer service,and give them the story,and ask them to send two extractors.The ones I finally got from them were noticeably better machined,and eject every time ,with authority.I did put in the larger detent ball,which by itself,had no effect on the problem.Ask for Effie Sullvan.She has dealt with this many times.