PDA

View Full Version : RCBS hand primer

Pages : 1 [2]

Ted_Feasel
05-15-2020, 01:37 PM
I have a Lee bench-mount auto prime. Very easy (steel lever arm with lots of leverage). Though, for that matter, I have used an early version of the hand prime (no primer tray) and a later version with the auto-feed tray. Never had a problem with them, either. The bench-mount is on a thick & heavy wood base with my neck turner and neck wall thickness/runout jigs so I can turn the one I need at the time to be in front.I've seen the Lee bench mount and always wondered how it worked and held up. I have one of the Lees with a tray I used for a long time but it just got to loose and now its in a drawer as a back up. But I can't brag enough about how happy I am with the Frankford Arsenal perfect primehttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200515/c4bff2e72fe5cb381855362752eaa06d.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

celltech
05-15-2020, 01:50 PM
+1 for the Frankford unit. I called them up and got another tray so I can keep one with small primers and the other is ready with large.

Ted_Feasel
05-15-2020, 03:10 PM
+1 for the Frankford unit. I called them up and got another tray so I can keep one with small primers and the other is ready with large.I couldn't believe how heavy it was

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

PhilC
05-16-2020, 11:16 AM
Bought a Sinclair hand priming tool shortly after they were released and use it for 90% of priming operations and an RCBS auto prime bench unit handles the rest.

Texas10
05-17-2020, 10:53 PM
A Lee is what I used for many, many years, bought it back in 1972. The shell holder screwed into the tool body. When it finally broke a few years ago I bought a Hornady. I'm not too happy with the Hornady primer seater either.

I find the Hornaday hand primer works quite well once you figure out how to use it. Two trays, black and green depending upon who's shell holder you use. Then you have to figure out the small primer head vs the large primer head on the plastic trays. Once I got all that straightened out, and the shell holders separated by mfg, it works well EXCEPT that it still tends to flip a small primer sideways when feeding from the tray to the piston. Large primers aren't a problem, just the small rifle primers. I don't load for hand guns so can't comment on those.

I find the fit to the hand much more comfortable than those that require thumb pressure to operate. My increasingly arthritic hands may become a problem later on should I run out of Ketoprofen cream. That stuff is wonderful.:eagerness:

justpassinthru
05-18-2020, 12:25 AM
A Lee is what I used for many, many years, bought it back in 1972. The shell holder screwed into the tool body. When it finally broke a few years ago I bought a Hornady. I'm not too happy with the Hornady primer seater either.
I've got one of those that hasn't been used in decades.

JeepsAndGuns
05-18-2020, 12:22 PM
I have the RCBS hand primer and love it. I have (knock on wood) had zero issues with mine. I have loaded thousands of rounds with it and about a even split between large and small primers.

wbm
05-18-2020, 05:20 PM
I have the RCBS hand primer and love it. I have (knock on wood) had zero issues with mine. I have loaded thousands of rounds with it and about a even split between large and small primers.

Same here.