PDA

View Full Version : Scope or Red Dot?

Appleseed
04-06-2020, 06:13 PM
I have a new Rock River Arms lower with a Palmetto upper with a full rail. Haven't broken it in yet, been in the safe for a couple years.

Because the gun shops (3 in the county) are open 3 days a week because of our mandatory lock down, wanted to ask advice of using a scope or red dot before making my weekly trip into town.

It is .223 , light varmint 18," will have the shop mount and bore sight which ever is more suited to longer range, can target shoot up to 350 yrds here at the farm. Maybe I need both?

Using Nikon prostaff 3 x 12 on the .22 mag, it's fine for 100 yrds. It may be best not to over glass to assure easier handling?

Hope there is something left to buy.

hamiltonkiler
04-06-2020, 06:26 PM
Do you want good data on your gun to make eye ball shots at the 350yd mark and further or will the gun be a run and gun taking out targets rapid?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

celltech
04-06-2020, 06:47 PM
For anything from close range to 350 get an illuminated 1-6. With the 18" you are more in the SPR style of gun anyway. Build a 2nd one on a 16" or shorter, lightweight and maneuverable, and put a red dot on it. Should be able to take on man sized targets out to 100 with ease.

Appleseed
04-06-2020, 07:03 PM
I mostly bench shoot the .243 but this AR will be carried as well as the bench, and might see a groundhog to make nervous. I haven't started loading for it yet so don't know what it is capable of, I think it's either 8 or 9 twist.

TrackSoup
04-06-2020, 07:34 PM
Depending on where you are, I had trouble picking up the red dot in bright sunlight and snow. My preference is a scope // TrackSoup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appleseed
04-06-2020, 08:09 PM
My eyes are 20/40 and 20/25. Haven't been fit for glasses yet, but too small a dot might be hard to read.

Fuj'
04-07-2020, 09:01 AM
I have several RRA's one is The Delta Mid, I have set up as a "Grab
and Go AAD" (anti azzhole device) Mounted up is an EO-Tech. I can
hit the 6" gong at 300 if I do my part, and take my time. I have made
good shots on chucks, but under 150 yards. I was not out to shoot
chucks; they just happened by and was clueless I was there. Other
then that, a good 4 to 5 power is a good all around choice.

Chris3.Drums
04-07-2020, 10:00 AM
It is .223 , light varmint 18," will have the shop mount and bore sight which ever is more suited to longer range, can target shoot up to 350 yrds here at the farm. Maybe I need both?

Here's my take, and I'm sure there are many more opinions - why not do both but with DQ mounts so you can change depending on your intent that day.
First, on an 18" barrel, I'd get a good one-piece QD scope mount and zero your preferred scope for your preferred targeting range or across the field anti-varmint shots. A good mount should easily repeat zero settings. I'd resist using two separate QD rings because they could shift (unlikely if handled properly, but I don't believe in tempting Murphy).
Second, if this is an anti-zombie inside-the-fence instrument, I would also consider getting a good red-dot or EOTech and set that for 25 yards. Most of those come with QD or can be easily attached to a QD.

Our SWAT team sets for 25/200 on their ARs with EOTechs. The better shooters among them can hit well at 200 yards with just the EOTech reticle. To borrow from PewPew, "minute of bad guy" is all you need for a quick, both eyes open engagement. Most of those types of engagements are well inside 25 yards, so think about purpose. If it isn't meant to repel hoards of zombies at inside-the-fence distances, then you could also do a 1-4x or 1-8x tactical type of scope (like a 24mm objective). Our SWAT snipers have a 1-8x24 Swarovski on their entry-gun ARs (they use a different rifle for precision) that can function as both up-close and spotter/cover.

Most importantly, though, is that you should try looking through any red-dot in bright sun to see if your eyes can discern the reticle well or not. Scopes are very personal, what will matter most for you is whether it works for you and you feel comfortable while using it. If all you get for your efforts is an eye strain headache, then it isn't your best choice.

Fuj'
04-07-2020, 01:18 PM
Pretty much what Chris had to say. On my particular rig, I
prefer the 36/300 zeroing. As for sun light and glare, a push
of the button really brightens up the EO-Tech. I also use
flip up and co-witnessed irons if I lose the battery. Strange
as it may seem, I can hit better with the irons over the dot
at longer distance, but the dot rules at the in-close and
personal distances.

mike4045
05-06-2020, 08:40 PM
I think a good 1-6 or 1-8 scope gives you much more versatility with that platform.