PDA

View Full Version : Savage 11 blew up

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

tobnpr
04-26-2020, 12:17 PM
As with anything else not firearms related, if there is any possibility you may consider legal action- first step is to contact an attorney, preferably one with expertise in the law specifically related to the incident. In this case, firearms completed products liability.

The very last thing I'd do is contact Savage directly- it'll serve no purpose. Nor would I suggest taking it to a smith before contacting an attorney. You mentioned your son has aspirations of playing ball on a collegiate level, and he now has a significant hand injury. It wasn't clear to me whether the rifle was purchased new a few years ago- or if it was used ?

oley55
08-12-2020, 11:02 PM
hdball,

Any news as to what exactly failed or caused the failure? And more importantly, how is your son doing???

hdball
12-03-2020, 05:00 PM
So basically its been 8 months. Multiple attorneys laughed me off the phone because with only a hand injury they said its not worth pursuing. He still doesn't have full use of his hand and possibly missed out on playing college baseball. One attorney did look into the case and after 6 months called me to say that unfortunately since my son's injuries weren't far worse (lost fingers or hand) or had he even died, the case would go federal and basically wasn't worth it. I did some research and found the attorney that represented a gentleman who was injured by a savage muzzleloader. I attempted to contact them just to see if it was even worth pursuing figuring they would know first hand. It's been a week and I have not received any response from their office. So at this point I guess I'm sending the rifle back to Savage so they can inspect the rifle. I guess we'll see where it goes after that.

jkv45
12-03-2020, 05:31 PM
So basically its been 8 months. Multiple attorneys laughed me off the phone because with only a hand injury they said its not worth pursuing. He still doesn't have full use of his hand and possibly missed out on playing college baseball. One attorney did look into the case and after 6 months called me to say that unfortunately since my son's injuries weren't far worse (lost fingers or hand) or had he even died, the case would go federal and basically wasn't worth it. I did some research and found the attorney that represented a gentleman who was injured by a savage muzzleloader. I attempted to contact them just to see if it was even worth pursuing figuring they would know first hand. It's been a week and I have not received any response from their office. So at this point I guess I'm sending the rifle back to Savage so they can inspect the rifle. I guess we'll see where it goes after that.
I'm not a lawyer, but if you still plan to pursue legal action I don't think I'd send it in.

Texas10
12-05-2020, 12:56 PM
Savage may offer you a settlement provided you're willing to sign a release of liability, otherwise the only way to collect is to file a lawsuit. If Savage has the firearm in their possession, you are in a less than ideal position to demand compensation, regardless of how it's orchestrated. If Savage demands the rifle to inspect, I'd propose sending it to a third party such as SSS, whom they know and trust, and whom the shooting community knows and trusts as well.

Hopefully your son's injuries will not be permanent, and he can pursue his ambitions without a compromised hand. Be smart, be reasonable, but be firm and I think it'll work out as best as can be hoped, for all parties involved.

Robinhood
12-25-2020, 01:00 PM
I would be really interested in what Savage says if/when the OP calls Savage to explain the event. This would clear up a lot of guess work in my mind. Then I could skip past all the what ifs.

resolution?

WinMod70
01-25-2021, 08:38 AM
resolution?

My question, as well. At the least, an update would be appreciated.

Gavin_UT
01-26-2021, 07:50 PM
Hello. I have been reading the thread with interest. I am happy no death or dismemberment happened. I have a 10FP that I am planning to rebarrel and start shooting. I would like to know what was found on the rifle and how this has ended. Thanks.