PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy new rifle.S

Pages : 1 [2]

SageRat Shooter
03-31-2020, 11:21 AM
If I do decide to go with a Bighorn Origin action and planning to go 6.5 CM, should I go SA or LA in case I want to go with a different caliber later such as 7mm?

If you want to be able to convert to a 7mm you have to go with a LA.

Ted_Feasel
03-31-2020, 11:42 AM
If I do decide to go with a Bighorn Origin action and planning to go 6.5 CM, should I go SA or LA in case I want to go with a different caliber later such as 7mm?I've had a couple snags when using SA designed ammo in LA, usually been magazine related. There probably is someone here that can school you better on that as my specialty is AR10s. With that, I have built my share of bolt guns and have always had best results when using SA for 308, 6.5 cm etc and LA for 338, 30.06 etc.. just my experience.. others may vary:)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

SageRat Shooter
03-31-2020, 11:59 AM
I built a .260 REM off of a Savage LA a couple years ago and I have had zero feeding problems. I went with the .260 because I reload and the 6.5 CM was reported to have feeding issues.

Whynot
03-31-2020, 12:57 PM
You need to have a firm plan on what you want to do down the road. If it is going to be a 6.5 CM (and stay that) then use a short action. Depending on what 7mm cartridge you would use- you may want a LA. Especially if you are handloading and loading heavies. I have a 260rem on a short action and one on a long action. The throats were cut accordingly- the SA I load at 2.8 and the long action I am 3.035, and they both work great. So just make sure you have a plan on what you want to do with it- and what ammo you want to shoot.

If you are going with the Savage action then make sure you can find all the other parts (stock, chassis, bottom metat, dbm, etc) before you start. Not as many options for a savage- but if they have the combination you want then it should serve you good.

Robinhood
03-31-2020, 01:28 PM
Then there is the new Badrock rifle from Ddefiance with Cone bolt head Tenacity. Honestly I'm nor sure why a tactical rifle would have a control feed and a cone boltface. Kind of defeats the purpose. Starting at 2000

https://i3.wp.com/badrockrifles.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/DFM_BadRock7216_angle_Beauty_RGB.png

Ted_Feasel
03-31-2020, 02:20 PM
I think savage has teamed up with MPA?? cant remember for sure the chassis name but it's a high precision rifle.. it's their attempt into the high end precision market I believe

jkv45
03-31-2020, 04:24 PM
I think savage has teamed up with MPA?? cant remember for sure the chassis name but it's a high precision rifle.. it's their attempt into the high end precision market I believe

Are these what you are referring to?

Savage Debuts New Precision Series Rifles

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/10/23/savage-debuts-new-precision-series-rifles-from-22lr-to-338-lapua

MDT chassis.

Ted_Feasel
03-31-2020, 04:46 PM
Are these what you are referring to?

Savage Debuts New Precision Series Rifles

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/10/23/savage-debuts-new-precision-series-rifles-from-22lr-to-338-lapua

MDT chassis.Yes, that's them MTD. I'd love try one and see how they feel.

Robinhood
03-31-2020, 06:29 PM
The Savage is the reason I posted the Badrock picture and price. I believe the OP was including the SAVAGE PRS spec gun in his choices. You wont find that rifle much lower than MSRP right now if you can find it at all.

The Savage has a better MDT stock in my opinion. However the action leaves a lot to be desired in the run and gun arena. They may be fine on your bench or in F/tr but you don't see a lot of them in high level competition unless they are paid to shoot them. There are exceptions.

Savage is still the best bang for the buck. If you know how to get them running smooth like Fred does they are a decent action with the exception of CRF.

charlie b
04-01-2020, 08:14 AM
I would be tempted to go the Ruger RPR route if I didn't want to build something. Still have a barrel swap capability. Have not heard how the forged barrel works over the button rifled.