PDA

View Full Version : FTR Stock Details

Oly1
03-26-2020, 03:59 PM
Are the laminate FTR stocks bedded at all, or have a full length aluminium block? Or don't they need it?

Would love to see the difference between the inside of a 12BVSS and a 12FTR

sharpshooter
03-26-2020, 04:59 PM
They look the same on the inside.

Robinhood
03-26-2020, 10:21 PM
Neither stock has a bedding block. The FTR stock is inlet for a 3 screw target action with no magazine pocket. The BVSS is inlet for a 2 screw repeater action with the pocket for a four rd internal magazine.

Oly1
03-27-2020, 02:12 AM
I'm really surprised that the FTR isn't bedded, or have a bedding block, what's the reason (other than cost?). Is there a school of thought that says they aren't required in some laminates?

GaCop
03-27-2020, 05:17 AM
I'm really surprised that the FTR isn't bedded, or have a bedding block, what's the reason (other than cost?). Is there a school of thought that says they aren't required in some laminates?

Bedding or factory installed bedding block would really jack up the price of a rifle. Easiest is to pillar and bed the stock yourself.

Oly1
03-27-2020, 06:10 AM
Bedding or factory installed bedding block would really jack up the price of a rifle. Easiest is to pillar and bed the stock yourself.

How come? The cost of the devcon is nothing compared to the other components and machining

Robinhood
03-27-2020, 06:14 AM
I am by no means an expert here but my understanding from talking to the F class guys is that the desirable harmonics (or lack) of a laminate are hard to beat. That may be true for solid wood also but that I am not certain as I have done no test.

GaCop
03-29-2020, 06:37 AM
How come? The cost of the devcon is nothing compared to the other components and machining To the "bean counters" time is money and using just one action or a each individual action to bed each stocks doesn't work well in the long run, slows production time.

6mmBR_Shooter
03-30-2020, 08:38 AM
The FTR stock does have pillars in it, mine came with them at least.

The gentleman who won the FTR division at the Berger Southwest Nationals this year was shooting a rifle in an MPA chassis. I still haven't heard what influenced his decision over a wood or fiberglass stock. The owner of MPA shoots the F Class matches at CMP Talladega from time to time, and I don't see much difference in scores between the chassis guys I shoot with and the traditional stock guys.