PDA

View Full Version : Laminate or Synthetic/Composite Stock

Oly1
03-26-2020, 03:56 PM
Which would you choose and why?

Aesthetics, feel, weatherproof, stiffness, etc

Is a laminate as solid as a composite? Is a composite easier to ensure consistency?

nksmfamjp
03-26-2020, 05:41 PM
My next (Win 70) hunting rifle is composite with aluminum bedding block. My long range Savage is in a chassis....I’m still feeling both of these out.

A laminate is generally stiffer and heavier.....better off the bags, I would think.

celltech
03-26-2020, 05:46 PM
Depends on the use case. Personally, between something like a laminate Boyds or a composite B&C, I will take the B&C for the cast in bedding block. Most of the wood stocks still need some work to get there...

Oly1
03-27-2020, 02:16 AM
Interesting you say that cell tech as I've just learnt that the FTR stocks aren't bedded. In which case I'd have thought that they'd drop them into composite stocks with the bedding block (or a chassis). 🤔

Robinhood
03-27-2020, 06:18 AM
Use and or price point has to be a consideration. Style is determined by use. Environment may rule out certain materials.

yobuck
03-27-2020, 08:07 AM
I would choose the one that appeals to me the most.

Fuj'
03-27-2020, 08:19 AM
Which would you choose and why?

Aesthetics, feel, weatherproof, stiffness, etc

Is a laminate as solid as a composite? Is a composite easier to ensure consistency?

I made the switch years back to aluminum chassis stocks, and
mod to fit my needs. See avatar pic. A 6061 aluminum blank
being roughed for a short action Savage.

sharpshooter
03-27-2020, 11:19 AM
I've been conducting some tests over the last few months on stock stiffness and characteristics, collecting samples from composites, chassis and laminates. So far the laminates are showing the advantage.

Oly1
03-27-2020, 03:07 PM
I've been conducting some tests over the last few months on stock stiffness and characteristics, collecting samples from composites, chassis and laminates. So far the laminates are showing the advantage.

Sounds interesting, are you going to post your test and results online? Would make a really interesting YouTube video

Fuj'
03-27-2020, 04:57 PM

I can't say either way. At some of the general matches it's a
horse apiece who walks away with the hardware. I will say this;
a good laminate stock will have v-block bedding if not fully
glued.

sharpshooter
03-27-2020, 06:35 PM
I have a few more samples to test, then I will do an article.

nksmfamjp
03-27-2020, 07:29 PM
Depends on the use case. Personally, between something like a laminate Boyds or a composite B&C, I will take the B&C for the cast in bedding block. Most of the wood stocks still need some work to get there...

yep, you will need to pillar bed to get the same thing.

nksmfamjp
03-27-2020, 07:38 PM
I’d be interested how my MDT chassis matches up in stiffness??

sharpshooter
03-27-2020, 08:39 PM
You'll find out.....I tested one.

yobuck
03-28-2020, 08:36 AM
Weight would be the controlling factor to a large degree. Especially in the competition area where there are restrictions on weight.
Otherwise from both the appearance and ridgid standpoint, wood laminate is tough to beat.
As for accuracy alone, especially where weight isnt an issue, i feel some of the old school methods of barrel blocks, action extension sleeves, or one including the entire action is still a viable solution, especially in a glass or laminate stock.
Of coarse cost is usually a factor as well, especially where mass production is involved, as is the can i do it myself question.

Fuj'
03-28-2020, 08:55 AM
I’d be interested how my MDT chassis matches up in stiffness??

My MDT HS3 stocks I use to mod and build on are not as ridged
as a full laminate. But the groups are not any larger !!:cool:

The HS3 is now out of production. Next will be the Oryx to do a
"Laying on of the Hands".

Sharpshooter.....Any H-S Precision stocks tested ?? We have a
a few shooters racking up the scores, and one made High Master
using a refurb off a Savage LRP.

One thing also is weight. There was no way I would be able to build
a 12lb rules rifle with a full laminate and block, and be able to spin
up a proper barrel.

sharpshooter
03-28-2020, 09:17 PM
The only HS Precision stock I checked was on a LRPV. I haven't got my hands on any other models.

nksmfamjp
03-30-2020, 03:15 PM
Have you checked a Bell & Carlson? Might be interesting to see McMillan, HS Precision, and B&C all in a direct comparison!

CAPT BEACH
05-14-2020, 01:32 PM
My vote is laminate...almost as light and stabilized and its...WOOD too

CAPT BEACH
05-14-2020, 01:34 PM
Check out Numrich for surplus savage stocks