PDA

View Full Version : DBM questions

Pages : [1] 2

PappaSmurf
03-22-2020, 01:27 PM
So I am new to the bolt action realm and am kinda confused on the whole Detachable Box Magazine thing.
I am currently awaiting my "delay" process to be over. I purchased an Axis 2 in 6.5 creedmoor with a bull barrel in ATACS camo. It came with some kind of scope so I was happy about that, but that is the extent of my knowledge on the rifle so far. I plan on setting it out to about 300-400 yards.

My main concern with it tho, is the 4 round mag. I have seen the 10 round mags have been made but cant seem to find any available. I also have seen people that are modifying some to make it higher capacity.

I am inquiring as to the DBM, is it as simple as buying one in a short action and throwing it on and then getting some AICS mags? OR, would it be more feasible to just buy some regular stock mags and then modify them?

Thanks for any advice and information that you can spare.
-Smurf-

charlie b
03-22-2020, 02:22 PM
https://www.snydermags.com/

This is the only place that I know of that makes higher cap mags for the Axis.

PappaSmurf
03-22-2020, 03:13 PM
Charlie,
Thanks for the link. I did see those but at 115 bucks for a magazine??? GRANTED IT IS handmade and seems of durable quality but I'm thinking not so much for me.

charlie b
03-22-2020, 05:02 PM
When you consider the cost of a Savage mag is around $50 and the cost of a G3 mag, $100 isn't bad.

Robinhood
03-22-2020, 05:37 PM
Detachable magazine upgrades are not cheap.

PappaSmurf
03-22-2020, 11:35 PM
When you consider the cost of a Savage mag is around $50 and the cost of a G3 mag, $100 isn't bad.

I do understand that, but I'm thinking long term...I'm thinking of going with a different stock and then maybe possibly a chassis system later on down the road...then all mags would carry over. If that made any sense.

PappaSmurf
03-22-2020, 11:37 PM
Detachable magazine upgrades are not cheap.

Robin hood, so I have found out. Lol
I was just wondering if I could get say a Boyd's stock and have it inlet to accept an ACIS mag, then I could be done. However I have to do more research on the whole pillar and bedding thing.
Thank you for your response though

charlie b
03-23-2020, 08:20 AM
Those converted magazines are the cheapest way to get there.

'Best' solution is a chassis. Just not cheap.

PappaSmurf
03-23-2020, 09:54 AM
Those converted magazines are the cheapest way to get there.

'Best' solution is a chassis. Just not cheap.

Charlie, that is my end goal is to have it on a chassis and for it to be good out to about 900-1000 yards

Stumpkiller
03-23-2020, 11:04 AM
Robin hood, so I have found out. Lol
I was just wondering if I could get say a Boyd's stock and have it inlet to accept an ACIS mag, then I could be done. However I have to do more research on the whole pillar and bedding thing.
Thank you for your response though

Not just the Boyd's stock but you have to also purchase the "bottom metal" that is designed to accept whatever magazine you choose.

I have one of the Snyder Axis-style magazines that uses an E.Arthur Brown bottom plate. Very happy with it.

https://i.imgur.com/RFEVOTX.jpg

PappaSmurf
03-23-2020, 01:28 PM
Not just the Boyd's stock but you have to also purchase the "bottom metal" that is designed to accept whatever magazine you choose.

I have one of the Snyder Axis-style magazines that uses an E.Arthur Brown bottom plate. Very happy with it.

https://i.imgur.com/RFEVOTX.jpg

I love your stock and wish I could get that just without the thunbhole. Also, thank you for your response and advice. Could you elaborate on (or point me in the right direction) of the "bottom metal"

Stumpkiller
03-23-2020, 02:11 PM
Thanky. The pattern is "Forest Camo" from Boyd's.

The bottom frame I have is this one:

https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Short-Action-Plastic-Magazine-Well--Plastic-Bottom-Metal_p_14780.html

It fits the M10/M11 receiver (short) bolt spacing but I don't now much about the Axis rifles Mine is the version of the M11 that used the Axis style magazine catch. I chewed out the Boyds and bedded mine with Accraglas (receiver and bottom frame) and used a "replacement" metal trigger guard.

PappaSmurf
03-23-2020, 08:56 PM
Thanky. The pattern is "Forest Camo" from Boyd's.

The bottom frame I have is this one:

https://www.eabco.net/Savage-Short-Action-Plastic-Magazine-Well--Plastic-Bottom-Metal_p_14780.html

It fits the M10/M11 receiver (short) bolt spacing but I don't now much about the Axis rifles Mine is the version of the M11 that used the Axis style magazine catch. I chewed out the Boyds and bedded mine with Accraglas (receiver and bottom frame) and used a "replacement" metal trigger guard.

Definitely looks better than stock. I guess I just have to wait till my "delayed" process is over and i have the rifle in hand in order to inspect it more.

charlie b
03-23-2020, 09:46 PM
If you are going to end up with a chassis, then I would skip the magazine conversion and save my money for the chassis. By the time you buy a new stock, bottom metal and magazine you'd be half way to the chassis anyway, and with mags that would not fit the chassis.

If you are getting a new axis then I understand the stock is pillar bedded. Just stick with it and practice.

PappaSmurf
03-24-2020, 12:50 AM
If you are going to end up with a chassis, then I would skip the magazine conversion and save my money for the chassis. By the time you buy a new stock, bottom metal and magazine you'd be half way to the chassis anyway, and with mags that would not fit the chassis.

If you are getting a new axis then I understand the stock is pillar bedded. Just stick with it and practice.

Charlie,
Would the glass bedding be better then pillar bedding?
Also, I need something to play with or my mind goes nuts. I have ADHD and depression. When my mind goes idle then I go into a manic spiral. I do understand the cost is gonna be greater, but I'm sure it would be a great learning experience doing this all myself.
With that being said, I DO APPRECIATE your responses and can only take this as advice and information.

charlie b
03-24-2020, 06:11 AM
Not a problem at all. I was just looking at it from the cost side.

For a project, if you are good with tools, then I'd get a Boyd's stock you like and then modify it to fit whatever magazines you wanted to use. It would take some new bottom metal and fabrication of a magazine retention system.

Full bedding is better than just pillars, but, for the Axis, not by a lot. If you are capable of shooting 1/4MOA on a regular basis then you might be able to tell the difference. If you are like me, at the 1/2MOA level, then probably not. I noticed the difference when I went from a stock Axis to the Boyd's Pro Varmint stock (without bedding). But, I did not notice any difference when I bedded the Pro Varmint stock. I was at 1/2MOA before and still 1/2MOA.

Why might this be? First, my shooting skill is not that great. Second, the Axis action does not have a lot of area that can be used for bedding.

PappaSmurf
03-25-2020, 02:08 AM
Not a problem at all. I was just looking at it from the cost side.

For a project, if you are good with tools, then I'd get a Boyd's stock you like and then modify it to fit whatever magazines you wanted to use. It would take some new bottom metal and fabrication of a magazine retention system.

Full bedding is better than just pillars, but, for the Axis, not by a lot. If you are capable of shooting 1/4MOA on a regular basis then you might be able to tell the difference. If you are like me, at the 1/2MOA level, then probably not. I noticed the difference when I went from a stock Axis to the Boyd's Pro Varmint stock (without bedding). But, I did not notice any difference when I bedded the Pro Varmint stock. I was at 1/2MOA before and still 1/2MOA.

Why might this be? First, my shooting skill is not that great. Second, the Axis action does not have a lot of area that can be used for bedding.

I'm liking the boyds the more I look at them, but just not the thumbhole ones. I will be wrapping them anyway as I also dont like the sight of wood stocks, but that's too easy. So if I have taken all the information correctly, all I need to do what I want is
- Boyd's stock of my choosing

- bottom metal thing...http://pacifictoolandgauge.com/savage-bottom-metal/9137-sa-savage-stealth-dbm.html

- and the magazines to go with the afore mentioned bottom metal.

Do you guys think I have this correct?

charlie b
03-25-2020, 08:07 AM
Except from what I can tell the bolt spacing is wrong for an Axis. That bottom metal is for a series 10 rifle.

Axis I think is 4.8"

You need to look for Axis specific hardware.

That's the problem when you have an Axis. Few of the std Savage 10/110 parts fit.

PappaSmurf
03-25-2020, 02:34 PM
Except from what I can tell the bolt spacing is wrong for an Axis. That bottom metal is for a series 10 rifle.

Axis I think is 4.8"

You need to look for Axis specific hardware.

That's the problem when you have an Axis. Few of the std Savage 10/110 parts fit.

Gotcha. I guess I jumped the gun on that and didnt even fully read the description. I will continue looking for the savage axis bottom metal

Stumpkiller
03-25-2020, 03:10 PM
Don't know anything about them other than they list an Axis bottom - and their website is currently down - but CDI Precision has/had them.

www.cdiprecisiongunworksstore.com