PDA

View Full Version : Stealth 6.5 Creedmoor- 3 Consecutive Hits at 1850yd

6mmBR_Shooter
03-21-2020, 11:17 PM
Saw this over on Accurateshooter and thought you guys might be interested to check it out. He was shooting a stock Stealth in 6.5 CM:

Steve Perry of Scottsville, Ky has had me helping him tune his Savage Stealth for the last few visits to the DOME. First time down he was shooting 130's and I suggested that if he wanted to go downtown to step up to the 142 gr SMK. He just stepped up to a NF ATACAR 5 - 25x with the Moar-T reticle. Today we zeroed the ATACAR at 100 yards and proceeded to the 1850 yard line because Steve wanted to join the 1 MILE club. He has shot it to 1500 in the past and was ready to move on with the extra MOA of the ACTAR.
He had a worked up a load with 4350 but with the unavailability of 4350 I suggested he try RL-17 which is what I use in my 6.5 x284 and also my 7mm straight 284 win. So Steve had a few of each loaded.
First up was the 4350 and Steve wasted no time breaking into the 1 mile club scoring two hits. Next up was the RL-17. The wind was starting to become erratic and we would land two or three close and then the point of impact would move. He scored on hit. Then a few misses. Now the wind seemed to lessen and he had 3 shells left. First was shot set the red flasher hit indicator off. I told him to hold same place and send it quickly before the wind changed. He did and the flasher lite up brightly. I ran and got my phone out of the Gator and wanted to video his last shot. I hurried worrying that the wind would change. I set up and told him I was ready and he immediately touched the last round off. Wait, wait, wait--HIT-HIT!!!!
Three consecutive hits.
Congrats Steve and great shooting!!
If Steve had a rest he would be dangerous.

Link is: http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/6-5-creedmore-3-consecutive-hits-1850-yds-dasher-dome.4001356/

Robinhood
03-22-2020, 05:49 PM
That is awesome. An inspiration to all that want to go "Dowtown"! Love the 142smk. Did you record the MV?

yobuck
03-26-2020, 01:56 PM
Well depends upon how our Individual minds view these type things.
Obviously were talking about an above average shooter using a very accurate rifle.
But in spite of that, the fact remains that he was able to hit the target only when the conditions permitted him to do so.
Had he been using a larger cartridge with heavier bullets in an equally as good rifle, he would no doubt have even been more successful.
But this also raises the valid question as to how much of a roll plain old luck plays in all shooting at long distance, and especially at extreme distance such as this.

skoger
04-08-2020, 11:17 AM
I know Birddog, the owner of the Dasher Dome, in Tenn. He and some of his friends, shoot repeatedly at super long distances, often on video. And Randy often shoots a .375 Cheytac, I think, and other big cartridge's such as .338LM improved and so on. they have some high dollar, for me anyway, rigs, and some guys have gotten outstanding accuracy, with some Tweaked Savages down there, just as much as the high dollar rigs.

yobuck
04-09-2020, 10:04 AM
I know Birddog, the owner of the Dasher Dome, in Tenn. He and some of his friends, shoot repeatedly at super long distances, often on video. And Randy often shoots a .375 Cheytac, I think, and other big cartridge's such as .338LM improved and so on. they have some high dollar, for me anyway, rigs, and some guys have gotten outstanding accuracy, with some Tweaked Savages down there, just as much as the high dollar rigs.
We all realize once the bullet exits the muzzel both the shooter and the rifle cease to have any influence over it. Go Savage. lol
The bigger bullets like the 338s and 375s have a definate advantage, assuming they leave the muzzel with enough velocity at the extreme distances.
And of coarse thats the reason a 338/06 and a 338 Lapua improved only connection is bore diameter.
There needs to be near perfect conditions when the bullet leaves the muzzel for the smaller cartridges to have any chance of success regardless of the gun and shooter.
Location of the range or shooting location can also have a major influence on what the conditions might be between the shooter and the target.
What might have happened at one place at a given time, wont necessarily take place at another and probably wont, even by the same shooter using the same gun.
Take a 22 mag and a 223 and go shoot at some clay birds at 500 yds just for fun.
Then pick one of the 2 to make a $10 bet with your buddy about hitting another one.

Dave Hoback
05-11-2020, 10:52 AM
Very cool. There are many examples of 6.5CM & 260Rem doing 1 mile, and further. I built my 260 just as 6.5mm was exploding on the market! I haven’t wanted anything different since.

yobuck
05-12-2020, 09:07 AM
Very cool. There are many examples of 6.5CM & 260Rem doing 1 mile, and further. I built my 260 just as 6.5mm was exploding on the market! I haven’t wanted anything different since.
My 1/2 ton pickup tows my boat well also Dave, and i have no desire for another.
But it wouldnt work well at all towing my old boat.

CAPT BEACH
05-14-2020, 01:40 PM
AWesomeness for sure

mikeinco
10-13-2020, 04:17 PM
so as usual, how big is the target, how big is the 3 shot group???