PDA

View Full Version : What distance to the lands are you using? (12BVSS)

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

yobuck
07-06-2020, 10:02 AM
Never put much faith in the "PA Game News". Wood Chucks, like any
other wild species experience low numbers from time to time. Same for
Perch and walleye out in the lake. Rabbit populations had a severe
decline, and now every every one on the block has one or two. Red
Squirrel's are down, but Greys, and Fox squirrels are doing well, and
even seeing more Black's that really seemed to disappear a few years
back. Wood Chucks are overwhelming strong in numbers at the present,
And stupid as ever.....Getting back to "Off the Lands" I'll be trying a
gizmo on a 6.5 barrel. A barrel tuner. These are not just for the Bench
guy's anymore. If your hampered by magazine length, and just missing
that higher end node you want for hunting, bolt one on and play. It's
only money.....
Good to hear your seeing improvements in the ground hog population.
The growing Coyote population put a big hurt on them in most areas.
But over time at least some animals do seem to adapt to things in order to survive.
It would have been nice if the Pheasants could have done that also.

As for guns, and for what we do with them, we havent made many changes over the years.
What worked well for us 30 or more years ago still works just as well today, and frankly that includes the scopes also for the most part.
With all the new cartridges that have popped up in recent years, there really hasent been any significant improvement over what we have been using.
Like you, we rarely use a magazine even if the gun has one. But on a couple of my guns i load the ammo so that it will fit in the magazine in the event i choose to use it, and i have found it dosent pose an accuracy issue.
At least for the type accuracy we consider acceptable.

The largest percentage of the area in the lake you mentioned, or any body of water, is without fish at any given time. Unlike us, they tend not to hang around waiting for the next handout. So the key is to first find the fish, then the catching part is easier.
No different when hunting, finding the animal first is the key element, followed by hitting it.
We concentrate most of our resources and energy into finding the animal. We have spent more time and money on the optics we use to find animals, then the guns we use to shoot them with. Next would be how can we, with our meager ability, best shoot in order to be most successful.
Only a dummy would choose to lay on a bunch of rocks on uneven ground. lol But again, much of our time and money has been spent on that.
After that, any decent shooter with a decent gun can succeed, no need for a one hole gun at all, but they work well also.
Now those are just plain facts, regardless of what many might think or believe or try to convince others to believe.
Problem is that many of us tend to be of the one hole group mentality, with only the best of the best having a chance of being successful.
Which of coarse is true in some areas of the shooting sports. Just not in all of them.