PDA

View Full Version : HBN

Shooter0302
03-17-2020, 03:20 PM
Anyone loading HBN coated bullets ?

SageRat Shooter
03-17-2020, 04:03 PM
I have in the past... What might your question be and I will try to help. I didn't do it very long as I didn't really like some of the things I ran into.

Robinhood
03-17-2020, 07:59 PM
I'm in SageRatShooter's corner.

Shooter0302
03-17-2020, 08:45 PM
I have in the past... What might your question be and I will try to help. I didn't do it very long as I didn't really like some of the things I ran into.
What things ?
I'm going to try it in a OME "tactical" barrel in 6 CM. My main reason for treating this barrel is that it took about 15 Hr's of; soaking using a foam, using a gel, and patch after patch some with three different liquid bore cleaners to get the Bbl. clean.**
My X Cal. 22 BR barrel that gets the HBN treatment only requires 1 wet patch and 3 or 4 patch's for a clean bore.
** After only 19 rounds ; 37.7 gn of RL 15 with 108 ELD's.
Already thinking about a replacement Bbl.

SageRat Shooter
03-18-2020, 10:12 AM
[/B]
What things ?
I'm going to try it in a OME "tactical" barrel in 6 CM. My main reason for treating this barrel is that it took about 15 Hr's of; soaking using a foam, using a gel, and patch after patch some with three different liquid bore cleaners to get the Bbl. clean.**
My X Cal. 22 BR barrel that gets the HBN treatment only requires 1 wet patch and 3 or 4 patch's for a clean bore.
** After only 19 rounds ; 37.7 gn of RL 15 with 108 ELD's.
Already thinking about a replacement Bbl.

I tried it in my 22-250 26" CBI barrel to reduce the heat (like molly does) and to improve my fouling shot. I found it worked pretty well in my 22-250 and cleanup was a bit easier as well (Molly just took so long to clean out). So I tried it in my 30-06 and my 260 as well.

I stopped using it particularly in my .260 because when I'd go to clean it, my patches would come out with a truckload of Blue (Copper) after foaming my bore. The .260 is also a CBI barrel and I hardly ever got blue on a patch when I cleaned it before and it wouldn't take more than about 4 patches to clean it out and one oil patch before storing. I didn't like that AT ALL.... Also, according to some other guys like Lone Wolf... Once you start using it, you have to keep using it.
I stopped using it all together and just went back to using molly again in my 30-06 and 22-250, but I'm only shooting naked bullets in the .260 now.

I also didn't like all the prep you have to do with HBN nor did I like how the HBN particles that are still on the bullet, start to get into my reloading dies along with everything else.

Robinhood
03-18-2020, 10:59 PM
OME or OEM? IF OEM then there is your answer. Can I ask why you are scrubbing the barrel so hard? Have you tried bore paste?

charlie b
03-19-2020, 07:59 AM
Savage, like many OEM's, have rough barrels. Comparing an OEM barrel to a premium aftermarket is like apples and oranges. Of course the aftermarket will be easier to clean. The good ones are lapped smooth.

When I want to deep clean my Savages I first use Ed's Red to get most of the powder fouling out. Then KG12 is used until the copper is gone. Then a few passes with Ed's Red again and it is clean. The copper removal takes the longest. Not more than an hour.

Using moly or other 'additives' to try to smooth them out is probably not going to go well. The 'additives' also trap stuff like powder fouling.

If you want to do something about the rough bore then lapping is probably your only solution. But, it will change the dimensions of the barrel to get it smooth. I used some bore paste (ISSO) and it helped a little bit.

CFJunkie
03-19-2020, 06:12 PM
You could also shoot about 1,000 rounds down the barrel and also find out what powder, bullet, and seating depth works best at the same time.
I've never used moly or any other additive.

I now get my 12 FV barrels clean in fewer patches using Patch Out after using their Accelerator to control the copper build up and get out the fouling.
My 12 FVs are great shooting rifles and are shooting great after shooting over 3,000 rounds through the .223 and 2,700 rounds through the 6.5mm CM.
I clean them after every 100 rounds which is each shooting session for me.

I have gotten similar results with my 12 FV in 6.5mm CM after 4200 rounds and my two Model 10s in .308 after 3,700 and 4,200 rounds respectively.

To confirm charlie b's comment on premium barrels, my Les Baer Super Varmint with a 'premium' 416R stainless barrel cleans up with about half the patches of any of my Savage factory barrels and has almost no copper build-up.

Shooter0302
03-23-2020, 11:24 PM
OME or OEM? IF OEM then there is your answer. Can I ask why you are scrubbing the barrel so hard? Have you tried bore paste?
I didn't try JB "bore clean or bright because because as some one else posted it might change the rifleings and this Bbl is shooting moa out to 300 yds with one powder/bullet combo.
I have 50 Rds loaded with HBN treated bullets, and I'll see how hard it is to get clean. Then the "pondering" begins on who's bbl. and what chambering.
Logic says stay with the 6 CM because I already have brass and dies. But,with with only a 300 yd range I could go with a 6 BR and find out if a BR length case will function in the Tactical's magazine .
As Rosanna Rosanna Danna used to say "Ain't it always something"