PDA

View Full Version : ?? reccomend rings/raiL- for swfa ss on 12FV

ice tea
03-16-2020, 11:37 PM
Got 12FV in 223, 6.5,.308. Putting fixed power super snipers on them. Already got a pair of the swfa low rings. They were forty bucks. Any opinions on those rings would be appreciated. I don't know, but looking at the, it seems out of proportion/overkill to have 6 screws holding a ring together, and yet only one horizontal screw holding the clamp part to the rail. Looking at the inner 30mm bore of the rings, It dont really look impressive, or that each cap was machined/designated for each bottom half. But, maybe there just fine, and it would cost much more for something that would have no to little more benefit in performance. I'm not qualified to judge, what I'm questioning here, so thats why I asking? Please give me your thpoughts, or reccomend another brand/model, as I would'nt mind mixing it up a lil here. I can afford to spend a lil more, if theres good reason too.

So, as for rails, it seems the EGW is well liked amongst you people here, and that the 4100 EGW, is the proper one for the 12FV. But, to me, looking at it in the pick, it looks weak in the center. The ribs are concaved near center. Is that so the bottom side of low profile rings have clearance?
The weaver ones, it looks like the picatinny ribs are solid all the way acrosss. Can I get some feedback on this, or what you suggest, and why, please?

Both are about 40 bucks. I don't know the proper part #, for the weaver one, that fits the 12FV ?
I see others for twice the price, and don't know why. I also see a EGW, thats made of steel, instead of alum, for about 80 bucks if I rember right.
I'm all ears?

Txhillbilly
03-17-2020, 02:56 AM
The EGW or Weaver rail will do you just fine.
Depending on the size of the Objective lens on the scopes you have chosen,a Low ring might be too short. I also hate 6 screw rings,they are a SOB to keep the scope level when trying to tighten the screws.
On all of my 1" or 30mm tube scopes I use Burris Signature Zee rings,they hold a scope tight and the inserts don't leave any ring marks on the tube of the scope. On 34mm and larger tubes,I only use ARC M10 rings. They are the best rings made,IMO,but they also set you back $180 a set.

hamiltonkiler
03-17-2020, 07:43 AM
First bed the rear of the rail.
Second more than likely your going to need high rings to clear the bell from the rail.
Get a cheek riser as to lift your face off the stock.
I have sig rings and a Leupold rail.
I don’t think it matters if you use decent quality products. The cheap weaver rings work fine especially on light recoiling rifles.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200317/88195cc10e4cd6cda75b22a57a6cedae.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jpx2rk
03-17-2020, 08:12 AM
I've had good results with DNZ mounts on my 3 FV12's.

celltech
03-17-2020, 08:30 AM
^^^ Virtually same here, but Tally mounts for me. Works great if you have enough elevation in the scope, out to 800-1000 depending on the caliber. And it's a much cleaner looking install...

ice tea
03-17-2020, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the help, and suggestions everyone.

ice tea
03-23-2020, 12:09 AM
The EGW 41000 holes are not centered over the holes on the 12fv. Two holes on each end line up, but then the other two dont. distance is slightly short, and caused me to start the thread wrong. I only started them gently by hand, but apparently, it was enough to make resistance to where i cant start them by hand. I dont dare force it, I want new screws and a tap 6-48 I think. I'm getting fustrated. i dont have time to send things back, and play detective/argue w/ gun retailers over the phone in a time like this. Im also confused what the hell difference b/t weaver and picatinny, and the brand weaver, or whet there trying to say. Please help, what is the manufacture part number of a weaver brand 0 moa rail, and is it pacatinny spacing/pattern or whatever, to replace the egw 41000 ?

std7mag
03-26-2020, 03:10 AM
I'm thinking the 12FV is the flat back short action, which should be EGW p/n 41200.
That is their 0 MOA Picatinny rail.

If you shoot 500+ yards, you should have a 20 MOA rail.

EGW rails are kinda tall, so even with my Sightron STAC 4-20X50, i'm using low rings.
EGW rails are on all my rifles that accept them.
Hunting rifles i use Vortex Viper low aluminium rings.
Target rifles get steel Warne rings.

To help with the 6 hole caps, set your scope level, and work with the center screws first.
And use a torque wrench!

yobuck
03-26-2020, 01:16 PM
Does it matter if you make the vertical plumb as opposed to making the level level?
Just asking. lol

celltech
03-26-2020, 05:51 PM
I'm thinking the 12FV is the flat back short action, which should be EGW p/n 41200.

All of my 12FVs are round actions. I have never bought a EGW rail but the 41000 sure appears like it should be the right one. Have you tried measuring it as compared to their dimensions?

nksmfamjp
03-26-2020, 06:57 PM
TPS makes some nice products...

ice tea
03-28-2020, 09:08 PM
I'm going to look into some of these other mounting systems you guys are talking, but being i dont know what i like yet, I want to keep it as universal as possible, w/o going high $ yet. So figuring one piece base. Got an egw, and want to try a weaver on another rifle. I need help. you tube video linked below, , shows a guy holding up a box w/ part #99496 which is 20 moa. I went to weaver website, theres no 99496, but shows a 99492 being a 20moa, and a 99491 beong a 0 moa. I dont want to order the wrong thing. Can anyone direct me, or explain this discrepency, Im having w/ whats 20 moa in short action. The website dont specify round or flat top, but only screw size. I tried calling weaver and egw, no luck on getting anyone on phone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OMZPLX8VJA

ice tea
03-28-2020, 09:17 PM
All of my 12FVs are round actions. I have never bought a EGW rail but the 41000 sure appears like it should be the right one. Have you tried measuring it as compared to their dimensions?

I intend on getting to the bottom of this. Taps just showed up, will be doing some meqsuring to find out where the problem is, in next couple days hopefully . Ill get back to you on that question

ice tea
03-28-2020, 09:23 PM
That is their 0 MOA Picatinny rail.

If you shoot 500+ yards, you should have a 20 MOA rail.

EGW rails are kinda tall, so even with my Sightron STAC 4-20X50, i'm using low rings.
EGW rails are on all my rifles that accept them.
Hunting rifles i use Vortex Viper low aluminium rings.
Target rifles get steel Warne rings.

To help with the 6 hole caps, set your scope level, and work with the center screws first.
And use a torque wrench!

Thank you for the mention of different stuff your using for different uses. These particular 12fv's, are round top. Lookin at this EGW, I think it looks tall also. Maybe its needed for strength, or clearance over chamber, I dont know.

ice tea
03-30-2020, 05:00 PM

Manufacture measurements on centers, from front to back are .865, 3.930, and .860
when I measured rail, I got .864, 3.927, and .858
So as far as the rail goes, srew spacing is right on. the couple thou difference is either in my error of feel, or in there tolerece. .002 is the thickness of avg human hair, so the difference are nothiong to speak of.

Then I measured the threaded holes atop receiver:
.858, 3.944, and .858
now a .014 - .017 is alot of difference b/t threaded holes over the receiver opening. I mean, that is amost how much you'd gap the points on a conventional distributor. Also not a .005 diff, like the the rail is in the front. That explains why I earlier said distance over chamber causing problem. I still cant get screws started in back two holes.

I got the taps, the threads nor the screws were eever damaged like i previously thought I did . Only the front hole was tapped adequately on receiver. the other three, had blueing in them, and needed to be chased, and were shy of being tapped correctly at factory i believe.

Thinking for a moment, the receiver, was incorrectly spaced screw holes, I went to a stainless savage about 10 yrs old, and got the same measurent b/t the long stretch over the bolt opening, whic h was also 3.944

So whats the deal? Anyone know why this is?

celltech
03-30-2020, 06:30 PM
I have always used Talley mounts and needed something with 20 MOA so I tried a DNZ 1 piece setup. They claim the measurements are .86", 3.94", .86". It fit like a glove and I am very impressed with it. I know you hate to mess with them but I would call EGW and tell them what you have found and to make it right. There is nothing else to do these days...

ice tea
03-31-2020, 11:02 PM
I know you hate to mess with them but I would call EGW and tell them what you have found and to make it right. There is nothing else to do these days...

I called EGW today, they put the owner on the phone. He had no explanation/reason for the .005 difference in front, and his repeated answer was, we sell forty thousand a year to savage, and no complaints. He agreed if it were .014 off from centers, it would be horrible

I then callled savage, but they arent offering a phone service right now. i then called tally, the guy who answered the phone, said his are .860, 4", and .860. I told him, that don't sound right, that the 4" would be off a full 1/16 of an inch. He said he measured it himself w/ a calipers.

I then called Weaver, and they were no help at all.

I then called Warne, they said there spacing was .861 b/t front and rear pair, and that distance b/t #1 and #3 hole is 4.802, and #1 and #4 hole is 5.663. So if I do the math, Warnes turns out to be .861, 3.942, and .861
So, those measurements from Warne are all w/in a couple thou of what I measured my receiver to be. Thats great, but there rail doesnt extend over the barrel nut a lil ways. I will try Tally again, and see if I can get someone else to talk too. Thanks for your feedback celltech