PDA

View Full Version : Trigger guard width?

tenxal
03-12-2020, 02:08 PM
I need a narrower trigger guard for a Savage 12 VLP stock. The trigger guard mortise in the stock measures .565 wide. The later trigger guard I have measures around .605 wide. Screw spacing on both are the same (2.900) as are the length of 3.465.

Any sources appreciated. Thanks!

sharpshooter
03-12-2020, 07:54 PM
Why don't you just open up the slot, or did you break your milling machine?;)

tenxal
03-12-2020, 08:06 PM
Why don't you just open up the slot, or did you break your milling machine?;)

Nope....just made pillars for a Sako I'm doing.

https://i.imgur.com/EyhAuZUl.jpg

I wanted to keep this trigger guard with the stock it came on, is all.

I'll whittle an ADL to fit.

GaCop
03-13-2020, 07:27 AM
Yes, easiest just to open up the channel in the stock.

Texas10
03-13-2020, 06:13 PM
This question comes up quite often. http://www.gunshack.com/savage-trigger-guards

Robinhood
03-14-2020, 09:24 AM
I cant stand the bubba approach. I once milled the sides of the TG to make it fit the narrow stock slot and one time I used a belt sander.

tenxal
03-14-2020, 11:09 AM
Not sure what's considered the "bubba" approach here?

I suffered through and modified a PTG for a Remington .

Robinhood
03-14-2020, 11:32 AM
My comment was a generalized statement. The majority of time I will direct my derogatory comments to the "Bubba" if there is one. I am actually trying to be more tactful in my post due to the need to interpret inflection by people in general, but I rarely mince words if I disagree.

So as far as your work is concerned, I can't recall ever thinking you do "Bubba" things.

But if you ever question yourself....

Using a Dremel or carving out a trigger guard inlet so the guard will fit: You might be "Bubba" (unless of coarse you are really good with making it look professional afterwards)

I hope that clears the air.:cool:

tenxal
03-14-2020, 01:15 PM
I'm certainly a 'bubba' around nice wood, for sure! :o

With 'glass or carbon fiber, I can always cover up my mistakes! HaHa! :eek:

"A doctor can always bury his mistakes. An architect can only advise his client to plant vines." -Frank Lloyd Wright