PDA

View Full Version : Model 10 FCP recoil lug alignment

oley55
03-12-2020, 11:24 AM
The factrory recoil lug as installed on my Savage Model 10 FCP-SR with accu-stock has a flat machined recoil lug (definitely not stamped). There is no alignment stud or pin, although there is a notch cut into the face of the action for one. I have found tools for aligning the lug on a REM 700, but not specifically for a Savage. Looking at the NSS tools page, their action wrench has a cutout for the lug and presumably it will serve as an alignment fixture.(??) But I wonder if it provides a snug enough fit around the lug for a near perfectly square alignment to the action. http://northlandshooterssupply.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/ACTION-WRENCH.jpg http://northlandshooterssupply.com/tools/nss-tools/

I considered ordering the thinnest PTG recoil lug (0.187") with an alignment pin, but the lug slot in the accu-stock is only 0.184" and I believe the lug is too long as well. So that pretty much leaves me with finding a method/tool to squarely align the flat factory lug.

Thoughts or recommendations?

tobnpr
03-12-2020, 02:31 PM
The factrory recoil lug as installed on my Savage Model 10 FCP-SR with accu-stock has a flat machined recoil lug (definitely not stamped). There is no alignment stud or pin, although there is a notch cut into the face of the action for one. I have found tools for aligning the lug on a REM 700, but not specifically for a Savage. Looking at the NSS tools page, their action wrench has a cutout for the lug and presumably it will serve as an alignment fixture.(??) But I wonder if it provides a snug enough fit around the lug for a near perfectly square alignment to the action. http://northlandshooterssupply.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/ACTION-WRENCH.jpg http://northlandshooterssupply.com/tools/nss-tools/

I considered ordering the thinnest PTG recoil lug (0.187") with an alignment pin, but the lug slot in the accu-stock is only 0.184" and I believe the lug is too long as well. So that pretty much leaves me with finding a method/tool to squarely align the flat factory lug.

Thoughts or recommendations?

I have a couple of commercial jigs that you mentioned that I machined/modified slightly to fit for square and tapered lugs, so it can be dealt with that way. I'm unaware of a jig that fits the Savage action precisely.

In any case, I don't see absolute precision of the lug base being perfectly parallel to the top line of the stock being critical. A degree or two of cant wouldn't seriously affect anything as I see it, whereas a warped lug or one that's otherwise not precisely perpendicular to the face of the receiver would. In that case, recoil will try to force the rifle off to one side or the other in the stock.

I suspect most of the DIY'ers here that spin their own barrels on and off, set it "eyeball good", and their rifles shoot just fine.

I seriously doubt Savage has changed practices and started grinding their lugs. I suspect they're doing some machining to clean them up after they're stamped- but they're certainly not finished to less than a tenth on a surface grinder. If you have the ability to measure flatness of the factory lug and it checks good, then it'll serve every bit the same as a ground one. As long as the damn thing is flat, that's all that matters.

oley55
03-12-2020, 05:59 PM
tobnpr:

I seriously doubt Savage has changed practices and started grinding their lugs. I suspect they're doing some machining to clean them up after they're stamped- but they're certainly not finished to less than a tenth on a surface grinder. If you have the ability to measure flatness of the factory lug and it checks good, then it'll serve every bit the same as a ground one. As long as the damn thing is flat, that's all that matters.

Yes, so it seems. Upon closer examination I can see punch marks on the inside of the opening. There are barely precipitable vertical serrations on both faces/sides which may indicate some surface grinding. I mic'd it along the circumference of the loop and found the bottom (6 o'clock) to be 0.0003" thicker than at 12, 3, & 9 o'clock. Does 3 ten thous disqualify flat for our purposes?

I'd still like to get a PTG recoil lug but there is zero chance the lug will slip into the slot in the accu-stock. I questioned my caliper measurement, so I tried to slip the factory lug in along side a 0.002" feeler gauge and it was a no go. I could get it started but would not bottom out. So I would have mil a few thou off the muzzle side of the slot.

sharpshooter
03-12-2020, 07:41 PM
.0003" is flat enough. Unless you have a bent lug, there is no valid reason to change it. The fact is, the short parallel sided Accu lugs are weaker than the standard tapered side lugs. I've seen many bend right at the radius/flat junction. If you actually seek improvement, use a 1/4" taper side lug with the bottom shortened, and mill out the stock to make it fit.