PDA

View Full Version : Savage new barrel and shank diameter

LongGun-308
03-12-2020, 06:36 AM
Hi gents I’m looking for some guidance, I have a savage 111 in 300 win mag, I looking to put a new barrel on it and I was wondering about the shank diameter. The barrel I want to put on it is a Krieger Match #17 heavy varmint. I believe that the diameter of the barrel is larger than the factory, do I need to get a new shank or will my old one work? Any guidance on this will be much appreciated.

wbm
03-12-2020, 09:29 AM
Whatever.

oley55
03-12-2020, 09:32 AM
Hi gents I’m looking for some guidance, I have a savage 111 in 300 win mag, I looking to put a new barrel on it and I was wondering about the shank diameter. The barrel I want to put on it is a Krieger Match #17 heavy varmint. I believe that the diameter of the barrel is larger than the factory, do I need to get a new shank or will my old one work? Any guidance on this will be much appreciated.

Check this link found in the "Savage FAQS" tab just to the right of the "Forums" tab, Savage Centerfire FAQs, page 3.: https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?127-Savage-Barrel-Shank-Sizes

I am no expert but I can not imagine how you could put a larger sized (large shank) into the action of a small shank action. That seems like a square peg/round hole thing.

6mmBR_Shooter
03-12-2020, 10:32 AM
You gunsmith will have to turn down the barrel before threading for your action. It has to be done with any barrel, so it's not out of the ordinary.

Quikshft
03-13-2020, 12:48 PM

Your question is a little mysterious to me. Do you already have the Krieger barrel?

Robinhood
03-14-2020, 09:21 AM
With regards to the new barrel fitting your action you need to check one thing. The thread diameter.

tobnpr
03-14-2020, 11:13 AM
Bugholes.com

You can get a Krieger (or other manuf) prefit and use the Bugnut system if you want a shank diameter larger than receiver thread OD.

http://www.bugholes.com/default.asp