PDA

View Full Version : Savage new barrel question/ shank diameter

LongGun-308
03-12-2020, 06:27 AM
Hi gents I’m looking for a little guidance. I’ve had my savage 111 in 300 win mag for awhile and I want to put a new barrel on it. The barrel I had in mind was a Krieger Match #17 heavy varmint with a 1-10 twist. I was wonder if I would need a new shank because the barrel diameter is larger than the factory barrel. I’m trying to make a long range target and a hunting rifle. Any guidance will be great about the shank and sizes.

SageRat Shooter
03-12-2020, 12:18 PM
Being that you have a 300 win mag, you've probably already got a large shank. The diameter of the barrel doesn't necessarily mean that you need a new shank. I went from a pencil barreled .270 to a Heavy Varmint barreled .260 Rem and both are small shank.

I'd call Savage and provide them the serial number and they can tell you what your specifications are. Then just have your new barrel made to the same specs.

Shooter0302
03-12-2020, 10:34 PM
Hi gents I’m looking for a little guidance. I’ve had my savage 111 in 300 win mag for awhile and I want to put a new barrel on it. The barrel I had in mind was a Krieger Match #17 heavy varmint with a 1-10 twist. I was wonder if I would need a new shank because the barrel diameter is larger than the factory barrel. I’m trying to make a long range target and a hunting rifle. Any guidance will be great about the shank and sizes.

You don't say if you are buying a "perfit" BBl. which will already come with a threaded shank that will be the size required to fit your action OR buying a contoured blank that your gun smith will have to cut and thread.
AS was posted by you on the other sub forum, there are links to find out what the size of your old Bbl's shank is.

A_Gamehog
04-08-2020, 09:00 AM
http://www.savageshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=619&d=1552021069&stc=1

GaCop
04-10-2020, 06:49 AM
It's highly likely that your action is for the standard shank barrel. As "A Gamehog" illustrated, you will have the longer barrel nut.

Robinhood
04-11-2020, 08:02 AM
You have a 1 1/16-20 savage small shank. It makes it confusing because sometimes they write it 1.055-20. This is critical. Only the contour of the barrel is different not the threaads that screw into the action.

Like GaCop said, measure the nut shown in Gamehogs post and you will be fine.

Reuse your same barrel nut.