PDA

View Full Version : 110 precision VS 10 GRS

Jclark65
03-11-2020, 05:50 AM
I'm looking at picking up a new rifle in 6.5 CM. I'm trying to decide which to get. I'll be using it mostly on the range and some shoots with maybe the occasional coyote hunt. I like the GRS stock adjustability and the blue printed action on the precision. I can't find any reviews on the new precision so I wanted to tap the expertise on here for some thoughts. Does the blue printed action make a big difference? Looks like the barrels are the same. If we had more shoots here I'd grab the the Elite precision but lugging a 15lb gun on the occasional hunt would not be fun....
Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Jeff

6mmBR_Shooter
03-11-2020, 03:21 PM
This may sound like heresy but...

I have/had 2 factory blueprinted actions. Still have a FTR, had and sold a Stealth Evolution. Between those two and the many other I have/had I honestly could not tell you the difference by looking at them or shooting them. The Stealth Evo was not a particularly smooth action. The FTR (stainless) action is smoother than average, but doesn't even come close to a stainless FVSS action I had and regrettably sold a couple years ago. The FTR is insanely accurate, but I would argue that has a lot more to do with the barrel and load development than the action. Even with a bolt lift kit, the lift is still heavier than I would like it.

A couple guys I shoot F-class with use the GRS stocks and really like them. They seem like really high quality and have great ergonomics. With the GRS being 5lbs lighter, I would much rather carry it around than the Precision.

Yes, walking around with a 15lb rifle sucks. Great from the bench, but after a mile or two it gets fatiguing.

SageRat Shooter
03-11-2020, 03:39 PM
I'd go with the GRS stock any day of the week. Wish I could get one myself, but they don't seem to cater to Southpaw shooters. I tried to carry my .260 rem (12.5 lbs LR target gun) this deer season and it was a PITA (or arm/hands). I shoulder carried it pretty much the whole time. Fortunately I was hunting a wide open area so I could just spot up on a cliff and glass from there. I wouldn't want to be carrying it straight up a mountain or in the thick stuff.

For a carry rifle I wouldn't want anything over about 9 lbs.

Jclark65
03-11-2020, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the input guys. That's the way I'm leaning.

Robinhood
03-11-2020, 09:53 PM
For the same price I am in for the precision.

celltech
03-11-2020, 11:15 PM
I have a Howa 1500 with the plastic GRS stock in .308. While it is ergonomic I can't say it's really a good bench shooting option. It has a single sling stud up front to mount your bipod. I drilled another hole so I could at least put a small pic rail for my Atlas CAL. It just does not have the solid feel like my Oryx chassis or B&C stocks have. It feels like there is a bit of play with the setup. So think about how you are going to steady the setup and good luck...

Jclark65
03-12-2020, 05:46 AM
Thanks, I'm going to check both out firsthand before buying. The precision is the same weight as the GRS. I'm not sure about the change of pull. Looks like spacers to either add or remove. I like the fact the precision comes with a 20 moa rail and brake. I couldn't find any details on the GRS about the rail so I assume its a O moa.

mattmjm
06-07-2020, 03:56 PM
Hi guys, I’m following this thread due to me trying to decide between these 2 exact guns as well. Have you purchased either gun yet? If so I would enjoy hearing about your decision and thoughts on your purchase. Thx

charlie b
06-07-2020, 05:52 PM
Why not consider the Ruger?

kingdombuilder
06-07-2020, 06:00 PM
I bought an ashburry 6.5 creed paid around 800.00 came with red blade target trigger. Extremely accurate found my load today .26 " its factory blue printed . Got mine from buds gun shop . Not a light rifle . I will put it in laminated stock for hunting and switch for target shooting . You may find new old stock .

wildcatgoal
06-11-2020, 08:43 PM
I'd buy the Ruger over that Savage... sorry. And frankly, if I'm going to have this style of rifle, I'm going to custom build it myself, it probably won't be bolt action, and it'll almost certainly have a carbon barrel if I'm going to relegate myself to using it as a hunting rig because otherwise they're always way too effing heavy to lug around for any type of hunt that isn't some catered drive up in a Denali pickup truck and be carried by peasants to that Lion King Zimba rock to shoot from. I mean, you could go get yourself a T/C Compass in your caliber of choice for $300-350 to hunt with... put reasonable glass on it and you'll hit what you want to hit every time and not break yourself physically and financially plus it comes threaded (possibilities...) and already has scope ring bases. And if you prefer something fancier to field and have money to spend, the new Savage Ultralite with the Proof CF barrel... *italian finger tips to mouth kiss*.

Lugging around a heavy gun - even in a pack sling - is bloody terrible and unnecessary. Work smart, not hard. Bullet will hit the boiler room either way.

kingdombuilder
06-12-2020, 07:29 PM
The op said mostly at the range and occasional coyote hunt. Coyote hunting is mostly drive close set up call and wait . The barrel you suggested cost almost as much as the gun. With no benefit . Unless you walk miles. Just switching gun to a wood stock as needed for long range hunting is way more cost effective to make it lighter. No extra gun to set up you can put money in one gun, set it up with nice glass. Not having two Guns to load for I assume if long range hand loading is less confusing and saves having to find load for two rifles. Ill take my ashburry with luth at MBA stock and magpul grip with a minox za 5i 5x25 x56 and factory blue printed action with 6 oz trigger all for under 1200.00 shooting .26 inch groups against the over priced ruger with borrowed engineering from savage. Ill give the RPR for making a nice rifle I don't prefer the trigger perfsonally. But like I said a Factory rifle that shoots 1/4 moa illtake any day I don't care for the less accurate from a semi auto . Only accurate rifles are interesting.

charlie b
06-12-2020, 10:35 PM
If Savage or Ruger had a guarantee of 1/4MOA I'd buy it. But, they don't. You might get one that does that, but, you might also get one that can only do 1MOA.

bluealtered
06-13-2020, 08:31 AM
I ended up with the 110 tactical, (24" barrel, gray stock) from the bench it does sub moa when i do my part. Last time out from the bench was a good day and it did three different 5-shot groups of 1-3/4 to 2" on 3" gongs @300yds. It is a little heavy for carry but doesn't bother me until a mile or so out. This from a rifle with 798rds through it when i bought it.

Robinhood
06-13-2020, 08:24 PM
Never under estimate the value of a Tikka

jonbearman
06-14-2020, 01:03 PM
My feeling is the weakest link is savage barrels. Some shoot really well and others like my son in laws precision rifle in an aluminum stock did not shoot well at all for all the money. Personally I would by a used one and install at least a shilen or something to get rid of the weak link with their barrels. You could get lucky but its 50 50 if you ask me. I have only one single savage 100 series with a stock barrel that shoots reasonable.

charlie b
06-14-2020, 04:03 PM
Ditto.

What I would expect from someone like Savage is a target shot with the rifle included in the box. For a target rifle it should be 5 shots in less than 1/2in at 100yd. For Varmint and most others, less than 1". For thin hunting barrels maybe 3 round group.