PDA

View Full Version : Short Action WSM Bolt head push feed right eject ???

BigKev
11-02-2010, 09:09 PM
can anyone verify as to whether or not Savage made a "short action push feed WSM right hand eject" bolt head or have ever made the same for a "long actio" that can be modified to work in a short action. I've looked on several major gun part sites but haven't been able to locate one (if they exist) any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Blue Avenger
11-02-2010, 09:21 PM
make your own. shorten a mag bolt head. make the Shank the same length as you current bolt head to save on pin adj when you swap.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/gcidso123/savage/gunsmith/savagebolt009.jpg

short / long mag / shortened mag Center Pin hole is the same for all of them.

Blue Avenger
11-02-2010, 09:31 PM
the above are all the old push feed from stagger feed actions

You can see the lugs are different lengths in the picture between .308 and 7 mag, so if your original barrel is still on, the head space will be to tight to try you handy work. New "short mags" are also using a thicker yet lug with the new actions. Fred at sharp shooter supply could tell you which one exactly you need for what ever action you buy, but he can be hard to get ahold of.
There are a few other guys that can help also. Not sure on the contact info for them. Some one will chime in.

efm77
11-03-2010, 05:57 AM
Not sure how easy they are to find but there are push feed WSM bolt heads out there. I had a 16 300 WSM that was push feed with a center feed magazine. It was from the factory that way too by the way.

Blue Avenger
11-03-2010, 08:25 AM
different then what a stagger feed uses. has an even thicker lug.

geargrinder
06-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Greg,

What about the firing pin? Are you able to keep the regular firing pin, or do you need to swap for the short action magnum pin?

Blue Avenger
06-19-2011, 04:35 PM
I used the original pin, I have to adj the length 3/4 of a turn between my heads.