PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: 22 Magnum Magazine and 17 HMR

nosa
10-04-2009, 11:38 PM
Has anyone tried a 10 round 22 magnum magazine in a 93 series 17HMR ? From the pictures I've seen it looks like it just may work but, I wanted to see if anyone knows for sure before purchasing one and being disappointed. It would be great to get more capacity than just 5 rounds.

BIGDAVE54
10-05-2009, 04:33 AM
I have not but this past weekend I was at Dicks Sporting Goods (Worst Dicks in America here in Columbia,SC) and after being told by the lil snottynosed punk golfer kid at the counter that "HE" did not have any loose magazines for Savage or any other rifle....I smiled and asked if he minded if I looked around. I found several rows of aftermarket loose mags and a bunch of factory mags on placards. They had one SAVAGE factory model 93 mag (for .17 or .22 mag). It was $25 but my wife has been raising Cain about using the ccards after finally getting it paid off so I sprang for the costly CASH mag instead of calling the factory like I did for the three mags I recently got for my model 64. I noticed as I was going through the mags that a MARLIN 8 SHOT mag for a .22 magnum rifle was almost exactly the same. It was $12.95 and had 3 more rounds. I paid for both and kept my receipt and went straight home. The Marlin mag was a lil more of a rectangle and would not clear the plate on the stock. I just tonight noticed on a BOYDS Stocks ad that Savage also makes a little plate that is a rectangle to fit over the opening in the stock. If you get a chance check this Marlin mag out at Dicks or a store that carries them . It is built a lot better than the Savage mag and may be worth swapping this little plate on the stock out to convert to a better mag that holds more rounds.I would not do it on a new rifle though. I would not want to void the warranty. The lil model 93 ( just bought is a dog that is a fixer upper. After cleaning the rust and peanut butter and jelly off of it I noticed a lil thin crack in the sythetic stock. It shot great until I took it apart to clean it now it is giving me a fit to get back together. The trigger and action works fine off the rifle,but when I screw it back on the bolt falls out and the trigger locks up. I am going to get a new stock and trigger for it through the factory or aftermarket one. It is the first time I had fired a .17 cal. It makes my new model 64 look kinda wimpy,but I still like the cheap .22 long rifle rounds...Dave

shelbyfan
10-05-2009, 03:21 PM
Has anyone tried a 10 round 22 magnum magazine in a 93 series 17HMR ? From the pictures I've seen it looks like it just may work but, I wanted to see if anyone knows for sure before purchasing one and being disappointed. It would be great to get more capacity than just 5 rounds.
No one makes a 10 round 22WMR/17HMR magnum magazine, you are most likely looking at the 22LR/17HM2 magazine. Unless this is a very recent addition that no one has heard about and everyone wants.

To clarify BIGDAVE54.
The Marlin magazines, magnum only, will work in a Savage 93 if the floor plate is modified to fit. You can cheaply order a new floor plate through savage or stockies, IIRC, so that if you screw it up you don't have an ugly floor plate, it basically needs squared off inside to fit. This will give you a 7+1 magazine. Two extra rounds for very little work and cheaper magazines.

Of course, this is a do at your own risk job.

nosa
10-05-2009, 08:16 PM
So if I'm understanding what your saying I could purchase the Marlin 7rd mag and switch the base plate from one of my 5rd Savage mags and it will work? Is that right?
I could have swore I found a site last night that said 22 magnum or 17 HMR 10 round mag but, now I can't find anything but the 22LR and the Mach2, like you mention. This brings up another question, not that I would do this but does anyone know if you can shoot a 17 Mach2 round out of a 93 series 17 HMR Savage? I believe the only difference is it's a shorter round so, I would think it would be similar to a 357 and a 38 which you can swap out. Anyone ever try it out. If I recall the Mach2 round is around 2000fps so,it doesn't seem like a bad round.

NLPeaden
10-05-2009, 09:20 PM
17HM2 is like .22 LR. It will not fit in a .22 WMR or .17 HMR chamber. One measures .226 and the other .242 inches.

shelbyfan
10-05-2009, 10:04 PM
So if I'm understanding what your saying I could purchase the Marlin 7rd mag and switch the base plate from one of my 5rd Savage mags and it will work? Is that right?
I could have swore I found a site last night that said 22 magnum or 17 HMR 10 round mag but, now I can't find anything but the 22LR and the Mach2, like you mention. This brings up another question, not that I would do this but does anyone know if you can shoot a 17 Mach2 round out of a 93 series 17 HMR Savage? I believe the only difference is it's a shorter round so, I would think it would be similar to a 357 and a 38 which you can swap out. Anyone ever try it out. If I recall the Mach2 round is around 2000fps so,it doesn't seem like a bad round.
I mentioned getting a second floor plate because if you screw up you will have an extra, or if you go to sell it you have all the factory parts. No matter what, you will have to do some modifications.

I have 3 HM2's and zero HMR's. With the velocity being about 2,100 FPS, more with Eley, I have found the HMR to be to expensive for the 30% or so improvement in velocity and energy. Not to say I don't see any use for the HMR, this is my case. Very few shots past 150 yards.

handirifle
10-07-2009, 02:17 AM

It would be like firing a 308 in a 30-06 chamber. The 308 is shorter, the shoulder is shorter, and shooting the shorter SHOULDERED round, will be disasterous. The shoulder will blow out with unpredictable results, except they wouldn't be good.

shelbyfan
10-07-2009, 03:24 AM
I did it, I was bored, and there was no bad results other than a very dirty and copper fouled chamber, plus horrible accuracy. Not exactly running 308 powers.

Can you do it, yes, should you, no.

JG26_Irish
03-27-2018, 09:20 AM
I did it, I was bored, and there was no bad results other than a very dirty and copper fouled chamber, plus horrible accuracy. Not exactly running 308 powers.

Can you do it, yes, should you, no.

Let's see, how do we do this in a delicate manner. Please allow me to play mother hen for a moment. You can shove a firecracker up your rear and it will still work (the firecracker, not necessarily your rear) but that does not mean that you should. We all tend to poo poo the risks associated with 22 rimfire and other rimfire rifles. But safety is important and your eyesight and general safety could very well be at risk if you fire the smaller 17 HM2 rounds in the 17 HMR chambers. It is decidedly NOT like the case of the 38 special in the 357 mag chambers. Those pistol calibers are straight walled cartridges and they do safely work. What happens with the 17 mach 2 when fired in a 17 HMR chamber is that it fits (Loosely) but the rim determines the headspace and the shorter necked cartridge fails to fill the bottle neck shaped chamber. When you pull the trigger the smaller diameter case must first expand to fit the larger chamber. This is going to allow some gases to blowback toward your face. Once sealed, the shorter necked HM2 case is going to blow out or split in attempts to expand to fit, unless too much of the gases already escaped. You are lucky if it does not blow out but if it does it is going to cause damage to your chamber and could blow bits of brass out the back of the chamber toward your face. Finally the 17 cal projectile is going to launch out of the shorter case in the general direction of the bore but since it is not fitting well in the larger bore, it may or may not hit the bore in perfect alignment. At best this is going to do damage to the front 1/4th of the chamber and at worst it is going to scrap off some of the copper jacket and blow those itty bitty shards of shrapnel back toward the shooter or out the ejection port. I once witnessed a shooter firing a 22lr conversion in an AR15 where the round fired out of battery and blew bits of brass and hot gases back into his face. He was left with little bloody holes in his cheek but was not blinded cause he had his eye protection on. Moral of the story is just because something is physically possible does not confirm that it is a good idea.

Irish

J.Baker
03-27-2018, 06:22 PM
Why the H-double L are you resurrecting a thread that's been dead since 2009 to challenge someone's stupidity who isn't even a member on the site anymore?

JG26_Irish
03-28-2018, 12:29 PM
Why the H-double L are you resurrecting a thread that's been dead since 2009 to challenge someone's stupidity who isn't even a member on the site anymore?

1000 pardons Sir, if I offended your sensibilities for pointing out a safety faux pas. I take safety seriously and certainly was not looking to jump in the other posters doo doo nor am I able to easily determine if a member is active, inactive or gone. I did a search for 17 Mach2 posts and that one popped up. I was not looking at its age. Went out of my way to not denigrate the other poster taking great pains to not call them out or call them stupid as you described. This was my first time back to this forum in a good while. I guess I failed to recognize the sensitive nature of my action. Carry on Sir Admin.