PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 Switchback

Quikshft
03-10-2020, 08:53 AM
Browsing the Sportsman's Warehouse site last night and found this exclusive offering. Looks like it is available in 6.5 Creedmoor, 308 Win and 300 Win Mag for $519.

Been looking for a 300 PRC foundation - this looks like as good a start as any. The 110 is a small shank model in the available calibers?

Savage 110 Switchback Matte Black Bolt Action Rifle - 300 Winchester Magnum - This Sportsmans Exlusive firearm is built on the tried and true Savage Arms 110 rifle.

Ergonomic Stock with Adj. Length of Pull, Fixed Comb Height
Olive Drab Green with Black Web Pattern
Carbon Steel, Matte Black Heavy Barrel, Threaded
5/8‐24
New Muzzlebrake Designed – flush fit with barrel
One‐Piece 20 MOA Rail
Knurled Bolt Handle
User‐Adjustable AccuTrigger
Serrated Lock Nut

efm77
03-11-2020, 05:45 AM
Most of the time belted mags are made on the small shank. I believe certain models that are made in both 338 Lapua and also in 300 win mag (ie the 110BA) use the same large shank receiver for both, but other than that it is most likely a small shank. You can look at the barrel and tell by the size of it and also the length of the barrel nut. As long as you're ok with a single shot, it should be fine. You won't make a 300PRC repeater in that action without a lot of mods to the receiver as the magazine is too short.

Quikshft
03-11-2020, 08:45 AM
It will be a range only rifle, and I find myself single feeding even my magazine fed rifles so a single shot is going to be fine for this one. Actually wouldn't mind if the mag port was filled in and it had a third receiver screw in its place.

efm77
03-11-2020, 10:39 AM
You should be fine then. Just wanted to make sure you weren't adamant about it being a repeater. Heck you could even go the single shot target action route, or get a 112 Magnum Target in 338 and change bolts/barrel. Getting in to a lot more money that way though.

Quikshft
03-11-2020, 03:10 PM
or get a 112 Magnum Target in 338 and change bolts/barrel. Getting in to a lot more money that way though.

I was looking at that option last night, if the Magnum Target in 338 had a physically larger receiver I think I'd be interested in that option but I believe it is the same except for bolt lug sizing.

Also, are the Target Actions not exclusively available as 'short' actions?

efm77
03-11-2020, 04:40 PM
I was looking at that option last night, if the Magnum Target in 338 had a physically larger receiver I think I'd be interested in that option but I believe it is the same except for bolt lug sizing.

Also, are the Target Actions not exclusively available as 'short' actions?

Yes they're short except for the Magnum Target action.

The Magnum Target is the same outside diameter as a regular long action but there are some differences. Aside from the bolt lugs being thicker front to back (9/16" vs 1/2"), the ejection port is much more enclosed to make the top more rigid. They also undergo a different heat treatment process to make them harder/stronger than a standard action. It's still marginal for the 338 Lapua according to some smiths on here, but I haven't had any trouble out of mine yet. For a 300 PRC though you wouldn't have any concern at all since it's a smaller diameter case, it won't have near the amount of thrust that a Lapua case has, which is the cause for lug setback concern on these actions.

Quikshft
03-13-2020, 12:51 PM
Yes they're short except for the Magnum Target action.

The Magnum Target is the same outside diameter as a regular long action but there are some differences. Aside from the bolt lugs being thicker front to back (9/16" vs 1/2"), the ejection port is much more enclosed to make the top more rigid. They also undergo a different heat treatment process to make them harder/stronger than a standard action. It's still marginal for the 338 Lapua according to some smiths on here, but I haven't had any trouble out of mine yet. For a 300 PRC though you wouldn't have any concern at all since it's a smaller diameter case, it won't have near the amount of thrust that a Lapua case has, which is the cause for lug setback concern on these actions.

Thanks for your input - I ordered a small shank McGowen barrel last night so this project has legs now. :)

efm77
03-16-2020, 09:55 AM
Good luck! That's a very interesting cartridge for sure.