PDA

View Full Version : Lead shot

Mr.Snerdly
03-09-2020, 04:04 PM
I want to buy some lead to add some weight to a couple rifles. Naturally, there is none available in Fairbury but he wanted to sell me some weights they use in fishing. This gets very expensive to buy by the pound. Scheels in Lincoln has it at a reasonable cost but you have to buy a 25 pound bag. Even buying a 25 pound bag would be cheaper than buying it locally but surely there has to be another way. MidwayUSA has smaller quantities but they are higher than a kite plus you would have to pay shipping. Any ideas?

Mr.Snerdly
03-09-2020, 05:20 PM
I figured out the lead shot. I can buy some cheap shotgun shells that figures out $3.41 per pound for the lead. This is way higher than the lead shot in the 25# bag but makes sense in that I can buy roughly the amount needed for much less than a 25# bag.

Next question, how does the recoil pad come off the plastic stock? This is a model 10 243. I am not sure what year it is but it would be 8-10 years old I would guess. There are 2 very small holes in the recoil pad but can't see any screws.

GrenGuy
03-09-2020, 10:10 PM
Inside those two small holes, are two small head Phillips head screws.

efm77
03-11-2020, 05:47 AM
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101025125?pid=357399

Here's what I did with mine. Much cheaper.

SageRat Shooter
03-11-2020, 03:14 PM
You could always buy a pack/box of BBs... Would be about the same as lead shot from shotgun shells. I actually used 4 oz and 8 oz fishing sinkers and some crack sealing foam. Filled the buttstock about 2/3 with the foam and allowed for expansion (cleaned it up as you go if it overflows... then just drop the weights in while it is still "kinda" soft, but not too soft, so the weights don't sink clear to the grip.

It worked for me anyway....

Mr.Snerdly
03-11-2020, 08:57 PM
You could always buy a pack/box of BBs... Would be about the same as lead shot from shotgun shells. I actually used 4 oz and 8 oz fishing sinkers and some crack sealing foam. Filled the buttstock about 2/3 with the foam and allowed for expansion (cleaned it up as you go if it overflows... then just drop the weights in while it is still "kinda" soft, but not too soft, so the weights don't sink clear to the grip.

It worked for me anyway....

Only thing is, lead is about 50% heavier than steel. I would have liked to put a little more weight in the fore end but it is what it is. Also, the local guy was so high on his fishing sinkers it was a lot cheaper to get the shotgun shells. The lead shot you buy would be cheaper per pound but you have to buy 25#. It will cost me $11.98 with the shotgun shells. Of course, there is tax on that too which adds up but it would be on the other stuff too. I know it sounds crazy to buy shotgun shells to get the lead but it kind of made sense, at least if you were in a hurry and couldn't exhaust every option.

I also have enough lead left to do a second gun. It is heavy enough, but it doesn't balance right in the cradle I have for cleaning. I will put some lead in the butt so it balances better. Weight on that gun makes no difference, it is strictly for bench shooting.

Robinhood
03-11-2020, 09:23 PM
If you want lead go to a local scap metal dealer. you can melt and or pound it into the shape you want. Take back the rest.

mike21
03-11-2020, 09:50 PM
Years ago, you could stop into any tire dealer or service station and pick up used or broken lead wheel weights used for tire balancing. No idea if that's still true, but it might be worth a drive by to find out. Of course, old timey service stations are now far and few between.

Mr.Snerdly
03-11-2020, 09:54 PM
I don't know if this is true but I heard they use steel weights for balancing now. As crazy as the EPA is, it wouldn't surprise me.

Fordoldfart
03-13-2020, 11:27 PM
They are using zinc for wheel weights and sinkers now. You might score some at a scrape yard. Depending on what you want you can make your on shot.

charlie b
03-15-2020, 08:28 PM
Years ago, you could stop into any tire dealer or service station and pick up used or broken lead wheel weights used for tire balancing. No idea if that's still true, but it might be worth a drive by to find out. Of course, old timey service stations are now far and few between.

That was true years ago. I could get a 5gal bucket of wheel weights just for asking. Unfortunately for those of us who cast, due to the EPA, along with some civic recycling contracts, most tire dealers must sent their scrap to a dealer. Don't know how they are held accountable but my sample of about 20 tire dealers, none would let me have any.

And finding a scrap dealer who will sell the lead is also difficult unless you are in a large metro area.

Yes, modern wheel weights are being made of zinc and other products more often these days.