PDA

View Full Version : PTG or OEM Bolt Head replacement

oley55
03-04-2020, 11:46 AM
I have a Savage 10 FCP in 308 WIN in which I have some bolt face etching from a few blown primers (bad 1K brick of Winchester primers from 2014), and will also be installing a new Criterion barrel.

My question is what are the actual advantages of the PTG bolt heads over Savage OEM? In looking at the PTG bolt heads I see where the bolt face appears to be "finish" precision machined on the leading edge but not the actual bolt face where the case head rests. I question what good the machined leading edge does for accuracy, or is that just for show?

For clarification, my funds are always an issue and I only have access to a 200 yard range, and for the foreseeable future I'm stuck with the factory accu-stock and trigger. So bench rest accuracy is not in my immediate future, but I do hope to attain a solid 1/2 MOA.

Is the $69.50 PTG that much better than a stainless steel $32 OEM bolt head for my purposes.

Also I wonder about this PTG note: "Be Advised: Bolts may need to be fitted to receiver. The bolt locking-lugs will likely need to be trued to your receiver; a gunsmith would be required."

Robinhood
03-04-2020, 08:02 PM
I find the PTG unit to be superior. The caveats are, will yours be machined correctly? Will you be able to return it if it is not?

I have seen improved accuracy and I have seen no change. If I am you, I would keep shooting the one you have unless your firing pin hole has been cut open. It probably has not unless you have had pieced primers.

oley55
03-05-2020, 12:05 AM
I find the PTG unit to be superior. The caveats are, will yours be machined correctly? Will you be able to return it if it is not?

I have seen improved accuracy and I have seen no change. If I am you, I would keep shooting the one you have unless your firing pin hole has been cut open. It probably has not unless you have had pieced primers.

no my firing pin/hole did not get damaged. The primers failed at the edge of the cup. I have been using it as is for quite a while, and was only considering replacing the bolt head since I'm installing a new barrel.

s3silver
03-05-2020, 01:39 AM
I have a ptg 308 bolt head that I purchased in hopes to stop primer flow caused by the original savage bolt head. It reduced it quite a bit. As for accuracy I did not notice any difference (or not enough) between the ptg and stock bolt head. If your’s isn’t leaving any marks on the cases then I’d say keep using it especially if you’re only reaching out to 200 yards. Use those funds for load development or something; that 10 fcp 308 should get you half moa no problem.