PDA

View Full Version : LRPV receiver outside diameter?

twotwothree
11-02-2010, 01:26 AM
I'm trying to determine the vertical distance from the top of the LRPV receiver O.D. to the top of the barrel O.D. Unfortunately, I don't have the rifle in front of me to measure.

This is in order to select the right scope rings. I know the height of the mount, the dimensions of the scope itself, and the O.D. of the barrel (1" non-tapered). If only I knew the diameter of the receiver I could work out much ring height is required for the objective bell to clear the barrel.

Thanks in advance for your help.

hailstone
11-02-2010, 06:43 AM
In by gone days this information was available from charts that the scope base and ring manufacturers gave dealers. Haven't seen one for quite some time but maybe an older dealer/store/gunsmith might still have one. I know both Leupold and Weaver had them as bases had too be radius on the bottom side for proper fit. Since barrel shank diameter is a little over 1" I would speculate the receiver is around 1 3/8" diameter.

jc
11-02-2010, 09:57 PM
1.35"

twotwothree
11-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Thanks. Savage confirmed jc's dimension. The official specs on the receiver O.D. are 1.350" min to 1.355" max. The LRPV's barrel has only a slight taper: O.D. at the nut is 1.115" and 1.006" (max) at the muzzle.

These figures are from Savage themselves, not direct measurements (I don't have the rifle yet).

Perhaps they will come in handy for anyone buying scopes/bases.