PDA

View Full Version : Rebarrel .223 to .270 on Axis

wildcatgoal
02-26-2020, 02:59 PM
Other than the barrel, what do I need to rebarrel my Axis in .223 to 270 Winchester. The .223 is effectively useless to me. I have my 223 Wylde AR and I want a light deer hunting rifle.

I know I'll need a new bolt face but do I need a new bolt entirely because of the Axis design?

SageRat Shooter
02-26-2020, 03:23 PM
You shouldn't need a new bolt...Just the bolt face. But you will need to get a new trigger guard assembly or order an aftermarket stock. The reason is that all the caliber options in the axis line are simply reconfigured by the trigger guard assembly. You'll need the assembly for long actions if using the OEM stock. and perhaps new bottom plate for the mag.

If you go with something like a Boyds, then you just need to order the stock "for long actions" and the new bottom plate for the mag.

hamiltonkiler
02-26-2020, 03:27 PM
.223 is a short action and a .270 is a long action.
May have better luck with the .308 or so popular 6.5creed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robinhood
02-26-2020, 05:25 PM
To convert your 223 rem. rifle to a .270 win., you will need to change the bolt head, change the stock and the magazine assembly. To convert to a 308 win. family of cartridges you will need to change the bolt head and the magazine assembly.

yobuck
02-27-2020, 10:30 AM
Question from a rare Savage owner who dosent feel a need to rebuild them.
With the price of Savage rifles being what it is, especially the Axis line, would it not be better to sell the 223 and just buy another in a different caliber?
Seems to me there wouldnt be many of the original parts left after rebuilding it, and we end up with what? another Axis.
I can fully understand the desire to tinker with things, and change in hope for an improvement is one thing, but change just for the sake of change makes little sence to me. Selling a 223 Axis at least again to my mind, might be easier than selling a 270 Axis.