PDA

View Full Version : Advice on F class gun (affordable)

rsbhunter
02-21-2020, 03:00 PM
I am looking for an option to get into F class at my local range. While I'd like to be competitive, I enjoy shooting for self accomplishment more. I have a Savage LRVP that I put a 26" PVA button rifled 6mm Norma Dasher barrel on. I have been looking at a Savage 12 F class (New) in 6mm br, wondering if it would be a better option...Money matters, as I am retired, and need to keep it reasonable. I am a Savage guy, and like I said, this is local club matches....just bragging rights.....So, do I stay with what I know, or switch....Thanks for any comments....rsbhunter

Fuj'
02-21-2020, 04:22 PM
What distance is your club ?? If 600 F-class, I'd stay with
the Dasher you have. If your going out to a 1000 yards, most
I know are shooting straight .284 Winchesters.....I know some
clubs that shoot a short course prone. I may be inclined for
the 6br in that situation.

Fuj'
02-21-2020, 04:27 PM
One thing I'll add is, a shooting rest. As you mentioned
affordable; Grizzly is doing closeouts on the Bald Eagle
rests, in several styles. Priced to sell.

hamiltonkiler
02-22-2020, 09:53 AM
Stay with it or try to find a savage 10T

It was kinda like the FV.
Accu stock
26”heavy varmint
Tactical handle

Mine shot .3s with stock 168gn smk ammo.
Some groups were honestly big ragged holes. It held well within MOA at 600yds

I sold it, it was so boring to shoot. [emoji4]

I had to go to a .223 for fun at 600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robinhood
02-22-2020, 10:50 AM
Like said before, get a good rest. Also a stock designed for F class and a much better trigger when you can afford the upgrade.

fayettefatts
02-22-2020, 10:53 AM
Shoot what you've got. If you want to upgrade after shooting a while go ahead. You may find your rifle is up to the task.

Robinhood
02-22-2020, 11:32 AM
One thing to consider is having a time and true done by Fred if he can do a decent turnaround. Upsetting the rifle when cocking is a serious issue for shooting small groups. His work often makes cocking a lot easier assisting you to keep the rifle settled.

6mmBR_Shooter
02-25-2020, 11:46 PM
A guy I'm stationed with shoots a bone stock LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor off a bipod in local matches. 2 weeks ago at the monthly match at CMP Talladega, he shot a 296/300 (High Master). The gun you have now is more than capable of winning you a match if you can shoot that well and read wind. Stick with what you've got and shoot with your current equipment until you decide to upgrade. You don't need a fancy rest to be competitive. It may help, but when the wind isn't crazy, FTR scores with a 223 or 308 off a bipod aren't too far behind the open shooters and their mechanical rests.

Also, a Dasher is competitive at 1000. Nail down a good load and go shoot.