PDA

View Full Version : FFP vs SFP

azguy
02-15-2020, 11:42 PM
I have been shooting for many years with a 3 to 12 SFP scope and am able to shoot sub 1/2 inch groups, and sub 1 inch at 400 yards.
I have used my scope as an excuse not to reach out to 500 and 600 yards. Shooting a Savage Axis action with a CBI 1 in 8 stainless barrel. mounted on Boyds stock.
I use the gun for bench shooting only.
I recently installed a FFP 6 to 24 50mm scope and sighted it in. My problem seem to be I can get the rectical in focus then the image is slightly out or I can get the image in and the rectical is out. Not really bad but hard to see the rectical. I can clear it up with paralox adjustment but rectical is too fine to use.
Now I am almost 80 and have had eye lenses replaced, see far great but need glasses to read. Is it just my eyes or am I flubbing the adjustment.

Jester560
02-15-2020, 11:59 PM
You don't have the ocular properly focused.

To focus it:
Turn parallax to infinity and power to max. Look through scope at a white wall or the sky is better. Close your eyes. Open your eyes for about 1 second and close them. Repeat and adjust focus on ocular until the reticle is clean and crisp. Do not look through the scope more than a second or 2 because your eyes will focus and make it hard to get the reticle truly in focus.

Make sense???

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

azguy
02-16-2020, 12:10 AM
OK, I'll give that a try tomorrow. Sounds much better than what I have been doing. Sounds like I have been chasing my tail by just sighting on target then trying to focus.

azguy
02-16-2020, 02:49 PM
Thank You very much Jester. Worked wonderful. Rectical very clear and readable, Target clear from 100 to 600 yards. Many times I over think things.

Robinhood
02-17-2020, 01:23 AM
Jester gave good advice. The one thing he left out is you will probably never need to touch the ocular adjustment again. If you do it will be very minor adjustments to fine tune what you already have.

yobuck
02-17-2020, 09:50 AM
Binoculars can be checked for proper alignment by using the same test, (look in, look away.)
Best to have them mounted on a tripod or laying on something solid however.
Line them up on say a distant telephone pole, focus them for clarity, then look away for say 15 seconds or more.
Then look back in without touching them, and be focused on just the pole when you do, nothing else.
If there is a double image of the pole, even a very slight one which disapates in a heartbeat,your glasses are out of allignment.
How much they are out will affect different users differently, but even a slight amount can cause issues, especially with long glassing sessions.