PDA

View Full Version : Bedding and the barrel nut?

mtnsmith
11-01-2010, 06:53 PM
Is it necessary to put plumbers putty on the notches on the barrel nut when setting your action down into the Devcon bedding compound to avoid mechanical lock?

Thanks ya'll

mtnsmith..........................

jpdown
11-01-2010, 07:05 PM
I usually free float the barrel nut by wrapping with 2 layers of tape and coating with release agent. Otherwise, you will have a hard time switching barrels and getting the barrel nut to line up with the bedding.

Blue Avenger
11-01-2010, 07:38 PM
only if your not going to put release agent on it.

mtnsmith
11-01-2010, 11:40 PM
OK guys thanks for the answers.. I have another question which you may or may not know, here goes.. I was going to do the bedding tonight so I went ahead and put brownells release agent on the barreled action but I got tired and decided to wait till morning, do I have to put on more release agent tomorrow? Thanks again...

mtnsmith......................

BillPa
11-02-2010, 09:29 AM
OK guys thanks for the answers.. I have another question which you may or may not know, here goes.. I was going to do the bedding tonight so I went ahead and put brownells release agent on the barreled action but I got tired and decided to wait till morning, do I have to put on more release agent tomorrow? Thanks again...

mtnsmith......................

My advise, trash the Brownell's stuff and get some Kiwi neutral shoe polish or Johnson's Paste wax, preferably the Kiwi. Work it in the gaps between the recoil lug and etc with a acid or similar brush then give everything else a thin coat. It doesn't need to be globbed on, just a complete thin coat. When it dries it will haze over and you can easily see any spots you may have missed.

Cleanup is easier also, wipe it down with a rag and your done. No washing the action and/or bedding with water or alcohol to remove it.

Bill