PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Basix trigger pull weight variation

uncle-buck
02-14-2020, 05:57 PM
Just installed a SAV-1 trigger in a Model 11 FCNS hunting rifle. The pull weight is just under 3 lbs. if the bolt is cocked and the trigger isn't touched until ready to fire, but closer to 2 lbs. if you press the trigger while the safety is set to Safe and then slide it forward to Fire.

Is this normal or does it need adjustment?

mnbogboy2
02-14-2020, 10:33 PM
The safety screw adjustment most likely is set a "tad" loose. Pulling the trigger on safe is allowing the sear to move. Adjust the safety screw down a little more. The safety slide will get more firm as you tighten it. If it gets too tight you won't be able to slide it off safe and then back on to safe.
When you finish again do all the safety checks as per instructions.
Good luck,
Randy

uncle-buck
02-15-2020, 01:51 AM
You're probably correct. It's very difficult to see when the safety screw 'just touches' the safety slide. Will give it a go. Thanks

GrenGuy
02-15-2020, 09:51 AM
I have noticed this to some extent with almost any trigger that can be installed in a Savage. As “M2” said, detailed adjustment can deal with most of it. I have found that doing as You say seems to take all of the slack out, allowing a cleaner break. I discovered this while prepping for long range shooting, where your heart beat can cause the cross hairs to dance all over the target. Please keep us informed of Your progress as You continue to tune Your trigger. Thanks

uncle-buck
02-15-2020, 10:03 PM
The safety screw adjustment most likely is set a "tad" loose. Pulling the trigger on safe is allowing the sear to move. Adjust the safety screw down a little more. The safety slide will get more firm as you tighten it. If it gets too tight you won't be able to slide it off safe and then back on to safe.
When you finish again do all the safety checks as per instructions.
Good luck,
Randy
That did it. Thanks!