PDA

View Full Version : Short action magazine box and cutout on Long action

Sponxx
02-14-2020, 01:02 PM
I bought an old used 110E in 243, without knowing Savage had built short action cartridges guns on long actions. This one does not have the short bolt throw baffle, but a small magazine box is small and the action has short action cutout on bottom, like a metal lip on it, to the size of the SA magazine.
I have been shooting it as is, with an aftermarket XCaliber barrel, but I am wondering if there a market for such kind of actions, or if I would take more loss trying to sell, that it is to keep using as is.

I guess the question is
How much would such an action be worth, ie: fair price for it?

Thanks

Nathan gravitt
02-15-2020, 12:36 PM
I wouldn’t think you would have any trouble getting $225 or better for it. Not sure what you have in it but there is always someone wanting to build off of different types of actions. Interesting about the magazine cutout. A lot of guys shoot short action calibers in long actions so they can shoot the longer ELD bullets and still feed them reliably through a magazine.

Robinhood
02-15-2020, 06:52 PM
Aftermarket stocks are nill as far as I know. These actions are usually sold to either a buyer looking for this specific action or to the those who don't know the difference between what the want and what they want to stay away from. .... Like you. It is generally a good practice to advertise all of the known info. Good luck.

Sponxx
02-16-2020, 12:10 AM
Nathan, I paid $300 for the whole rifle, IIRC. I sold the take off barrel and installed an XCaliber threaded one, still shooting the Tupperware stock, which I pillared and bedded. $225 doesn't seem too bad if can truly sell it for that. One could shoot super long COAL, but it wouldn't be as a a repeater.

Robinhood, this action fits in the regular TBR LA stocks (110, 116, etc.). Definitely less than options than SA guns, but I wouldn't say nil. If I sell, full disclosure will be given. I do agree that it is either a niche market or fool/unaware buyer item.

GaCop
02-16-2020, 08:07 AM
Years ago I had one of those factory chambered in 223. Rifle was a real shooter with 52 grain SMKs out to 300 yards and would explode cans of Coke at that range first shot every time.