PDA

View Full Version : 6 mm rem mag loads.

8mm RUM
02-09-2020, 05:41 PM
​I joined here because I was going to build a 8mm RUM with a savage. That did not work out and I ended up getting a rem 700 in 8mm rem mag. I stayed on there seams to be a LOT of very information filed post and informative people. Thanks.
I stop in most every day and read. Thanks for having me.
I have a question, I built a 6mm rem mag from an action I picked up on another site. It was a Herders J6 ( ? ) Mauser intermediate clone. Found a used barrel, A Swedish Mauser trigger, bottom metal, army surplus, and a plastic stock.
There again not a Savage, (sorry) but under $300 for all. It turned out GREAT shoots little bug holes and well under an inch at 200 yards. I use it for deer, antelope, coyotes and P dogs.
All this is coming to the question. I use Barnes ttsx 80 gr at 3600 fps, and Nosler Ballistic tips 55 gr at 4200 fps.
I go through a LOT of the 55's. I found some Nosler Varmageddons in 55 gr for $.19 each shipped to my door.
That's a LOT cheaper the the ballistic tips, I want to order 1000 of them. Think I can just swap the bullets and load the same load? It would be a lot easier then a new load development.

JW
02-10-2020, 07:19 AM
I would plan on doing a load development first.
It is possible the load could be the same, but highly unlikely.
Jack