PDA

View Full Version : .350 Legend Axis action

jims
02-09-2020, 11:03 AM
I looked at a Savage Axis in .350 Legend. The bolt opening in my opinion seemed as long as on a long action or more. Now I did not measure it and I could easily be wrong but since the Legend has a case length similar to the .223 wouldn't it be closer to that size? Just asking or do they get double duty out of the Axis action for long and short action cartridges?

J.Baker
02-09-2020, 04:46 PM
All Axis actions are long actions. How far the bolt travels backward can be easily changed for a long or short action cartridge by simply rotating the front baffle 180 degrees. The stock and what length magazine it's inlet for is the only thing that really determines long or short action on these.

jims
02-09-2020, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply.

dfrnt
10-25-2021, 03:51 PM
All Axis actions are long actions. How far the bolt travels backward can be easily changed for a long or short action cartridge by simply rotating the front baffle 180 degrees. The stock and what length magazine it's inlet for is the only thing that really determines long or short action on these.
So I ordered a Boyds stock after reading the first sentence. BUT, if you're ordering a stock, you need to specify short action, or you'll get a stock that you can't use. It would have been more useful to me to just say that the 350 Legend is a short action, because that's how you need to order a stock. And, I'll admit that I know little about what the length of action is, but I just learned the hard way.