PDA

View Full Version : 12fv 22-250 issue?

zsjohnson16
02-08-2020, 09:39 PM
Just picked it up from Cabelas today. The crown is different than my 6.5. It seems to be an 11 degree crown vs a recessed target that’s in my 6.5. I also noticed one of the riflings has some “corrosion” where it meets the crown. I’ll try upload a photo. Any help verifying the different crown? What about the corrosion? Still shoot it?

JW
02-10-2020, 07:13 AM
I would clean and shoot it.
A recessed crown is common on barrels threaded for a brake.
11 degree crown is usually on larger diameter barrels.
What I call a "standard" crown is usually what comes on sporter profile barrels that are not threaded for a brake.
All three crowns types are good as far as accuracy.
Jack

CFJunkie
02-10-2020, 07:42 AM
Agree that you should clean it an shoot it. The crud is probably from their test firing (Savage doesn't clean their rifles after testing.)

I have two 12 FVs (one in .223 and one in 6.5mm Creedmoor) and they are great shooters.
I have documented their results in the Ammunition and Reloading forum and their changes to Oryx stock in this forum.
Both rifles have over 2650 rounds down range and are right at the top of my most accurate rifles.
Cabela's picked just the right stuff to produce very accurate rifles for a great price.

I hope you will be as happy with yours as I have been with mine.
I've been thinking about getting a 12 FV in .22-250 but I already have two rifles in that caliber.
Let us know how yours shoots.

zsjohnson16
02-10-2020, 03:40 PM
Its on its way back to savage. The blemish/corrosion on one of the riflings where it meets the crown is too much for my OCD to handle. My 6.5 is around 1/2MOA gun so hopefully this comes even close.

celltech
02-10-2020, 04:07 PM
I personally would have cleaned it up and shot it. 12FVs come slathered in enough oil to lube a tractor. And if you have OCD don't buy a borescope and run it down the barrel...hahaha

zsjohnson16
02-11-2020, 11:30 AM
It wasnt oil, i cleaned it very thouroughly. I still cant upload photos but there is visible corrosion in the barrel where one of the rifling meets the crown.

mnbogboy2
02-12-2020, 12:39 AM
It wasnt oil, i cleaned it very thouroughly. I still cant upload photos but there is visible corrosion in the barrel where one of the rifling meets the crown.

Pictures would be nice. My guess without seeing it would be a copper stripe on a land or lands. One test shot on a new button barrel will leave all kinds of visible copper.

My advice is don't buy a bore cam or you will never buy another Savage.....lol

zsjohnson16
02-12-2020, 12:46 PM
Not copper, not just on the rifling, it covers about 20% of the barrel where the riflings meet the crown. Maybe would have shot fine, but if the corrosion already started and its brand new i figured i would just send it back as its around a 3 week turn around.

JohnRS
02-12-2020, 04:45 PM
I personally would have cleaned it up and shot it. 12FVs come slathered in enough oil to lube a tractor. And if you have OCD don't buy a borescope and run it down the barrel...hahaha
Yeah, my .308 was the dirtiest new gun I think I've ever seen. But more importantly when I stripped it down to clean it I discovered that the action screws were barely even tight. If I had just just shot it who knows what might have happened.