PDA

View Full Version : Model 12fv

zsjohnson16
02-07-2020, 12:05 PM
Alright, im looking at getting a detachable magazine as cheap as possibly without going to a chassis. Im wondering if i can get a model 10 aftermarket stock, and then get a "bottom metal" for that with a magazine. Anyone done that?

celltech
02-07-2020, 02:35 PM
Yep...I have done both traditional stocks and chassis. The chassis is much easier in the end, if you can take the look.

You can do Savage OEM bottom metal and use their mags, or use something like CDI and use AICS mags. I think the AICS metal will take some inletting work to make it fit.

My biggest issue with wood stocks and bottom metal is after all the swiss cheese holes and cutting there is not a lot of meat left in the wood. I bought a dirt cheap cracked stock to play with and had to epoxy in metal inserts for support.

In the end I would just rather buy an Oryx and call it a day...but that is just me.

zsjohnson16
02-07-2020, 03:40 PM
Its going on a 22-250 for hunting so would rather have a more traditional style stock.

kabong57
02-10-2020, 06:04 PM
I am in the process of changing mine over now. Purchased one of the New Take-Off Savage Tactical AccuFit Accu stocks with bottom metal and magazine listed in the classifieds. The AICS magazine is for 6.5 cm / .308. MagPul is releasing a new mag that will work for .223 if needed.

Nathan gravitt
02-14-2020, 09:00 AM
The model 10 stock will work. You can use any stock with 4.4” action screw spacing and inletted for dbm(detachable bottom metal). If you can find someone selling the stock and dbm you can usually get it cheaper. The stock will also need to be for top bolt release. Although if you are handy you could make a slot for the bolt release in a bottom bolt release stock.

Praeger
02-29-2020, 09:17 AM
Yep...I have done both traditional stocks and chassis. The chassis is much easier in the end, if you can take the look.

You can do Savage OEM bottom metal and use their mags, or use something like CDI and use AICS mags. I think the AICS metal will take some inletting work to make it fit.

My biggest issue with wood stocks and bottom metal is after all the swiss cheese holes and cutting there is not a lot of meat left in the wood. I bought a dirt cheap cracked stock to play with and had to epoxy in metal inserts for support.

In the end I would just rather buy an Oryx and call it a day...but that is just me.

You aren't kidding about not much meat left after fitting. I just pillar bedded a friend's Savage Model 12FV into a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock. Aside from having to mill a step and widen the trigger guard recess to accept the newer style trigger guard, the amount of nip and tuck around the rear pillar left very little support. The metal tab used to hold down the internal box magazine sits on top of the pillar strikes me as a weak point for action stability. I have mill, so much of the slotting around the rear action pillar and magazine tab was clean - I feel sorry from someone going at this with a dremel and the Boyd's guidance that a "minor" amount of fitment may be necessary. It took many trial and error passes.

In the end it went together fine, but I completely agree with @celltech to avoid the internal box magazine and either go for bottom metal and removable magazine, or go to a chassis like Oryx or MDT. I'm not sure if this is related to the fitment issues, but on this 22-250 center feed magazine, it is very tight to load rounds. Cases are scratched by the feed lips and it requires some dexterity to fill the magazine. Frankly, I'd rather single load than beat up my brass. My friend said it was like that from the day he bought it in the plastic stock, so not a result of the Boyd's stock.

SWMP15RO
02-29-2020, 07:17 PM
My brother in law bought a Bell and Carlson stock for his 12fv. Then ordered a savage dbm directly from Savage. It made a nice rifle for a decent price.