PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 in .243 to a 270 WSM

Big Smitty
11-01-2010, 12:00 AM
I am just getting into Savage rifles and I am going to purchase a Savage 110 in .243 for $200 and would like to convert it to a .270 WSM. Can the experts here let me know if this can be done and what I need to do to accomplish the project. If it can be done is barrel and bolt head all that is needed. Is there something that needs to be done to the mag well or other operations? Just looking for some help and what I need to do to get started after I purchase the rifle.

hailstone
11-01-2010, 08:10 AM
Your basically correct on the bolt head, barrel swap but will need too add the magazine and follower as well. Unless you open the receiver up the barrel needs too be small shank. Factory uses large shank barrels now but previously used small shank. When all is said and done (speaking from experience) unless this is going too be a swap barrel rifle it would be cheaper too buy the 270 WSM from the factory. Lately needed the 7mm WSM and was considering your proposed route. Ended buying what I wanted for little over $400. That was equipped with the DBM and bottom metal which normally adds about $100 too factory offerings. Located on one of the auction sites it was within reasonable driving distance so made day trip obtaining the rifle.

okie2
11-04-2010, 10:24 PM
I did this very thing you are wanting to do.
I changed the bolt head and bought a E R Shaw 26" varmit barrel.
I made no other changes and it works great.
also a very accurate rifle.