PDA

View Full Version : New to me Axis with wood stock 30-06

cfrewilly
02-06-2020, 09:04 PM
I am picking up aused Savage Axis tomorrow from a local shop and this will be my third Savage to date.
To my surprise it has a wood stock which I thought all Axis were plastic stock guns.
It is a 30-06 and I want to change barrels to a .223 which should not be a problem from what I have read but , do I need to change the bolt head?
Thanks
Tim

GaCop
02-07-2020, 08:35 AM
Yes, you will need a .378" bolt head for the smaller cartridge. The Boyd's stock is much better than the factory plastic. They do need pillars and/or glass bedding.

cfrewilly
02-07-2020, 08:59 PM
GaCop,
Thank you for your service and also you response to my question. I will look into getting a new bolt head before I get my barrel, I plan to use this rifle and when I find another Savage Axis with the a 7.62 x 39 barrel or just another Savage Axis I will swap out the barrel for the 7.62 x 39 cartridge as range guns and single shots. I have a family that loves to shoot and they are all girls, they want to shoot something beside .22 lr all the time and these are the next cheapest rounds I have found, I take pleasure in teaching my girls to respect and enjoy firearms at an early age and so some of our get togethers are at the range. GaCop I spent 26.5 years helping the Navy and Marine fighter squadrons put warheads on foreheads as a aircraft mechanic working on fixed wing and rotor wing aircraft and got to travel to a lot of bases all over the country and a few abroad supporting our troops and loved every minute of it.
Thank you,
V/r
Tim

GaCop
02-08-2020, 07:41 AM
Check Numrich, you will probably be able to find a 223 bolt head, extractor, extractor bearing, ejector and springs there. PT&G is also another source for bolt heads along with the classified here. And, thank you for your service. I was a medic and flew Medivac and Air Rescue while participating in the "Southeast Asia War Games". Did 20 in the AF and then 22 years in Law Enforcement.

J.Baker
02-09-2020, 04:50 PM
Savage started offering a wood stocked Axis a year or two ago now.

As for the bolt head, all Axis use a short-action bolt head so you will need a S/A .378 bolt head, .223 magazine and a new stock that is inlet to work with the shorter magazine.

cfrewilly
02-11-2020, 05:17 PM
Thanks guys,
I am realy going to like my new choice of firearms and this site and members!!!