PDA

View Full Version : 308 Brass

scvpiper
10-31-2010, 08:58 PM
I just recieved some Lake City brass stamped LC 98 LR. How does this brass compair to Federal or Win.

dolomite_supafly
10-31-2010, 09:44 PM
http://www.6mmbr.com/308win.html

Some decent info
Dolomite

earl39
11-01-2010, 12:10 AM
On this one that article on 6br is a little behind the times. the lake city LR brass is the new match brass. it is how the new sniper rounds are marked and will almost always be shot from a bolt gun if once fired by military personal. so the article should read "match/long range brass" to keep up with the changes lake city has made in marking brass. brass with the NATO head stamp (circle with a + in it) is good for practice or gas gun throw away. it stands a real good chance of having been shot thru a machine gun and they tend to have slightly larger chambers to improve reliability.

Gary

bigedp51
11-01-2010, 03:17 AM
Military Lake City cartridge cases were like gold if you had a 03 Springfield and a large military chamber. Any American made military cartridge case is going to be "heavy duty" compared to commercial brass and if taken care of will last forever.

The down side is if you don't have a large quantity of military cases your better off sticking with commercial brass rather than mixing and having two loads for the same bullet.

But then again some of us are just really lucky finding military brass and then spending hours swedging primer pockets until your fingers bleed. ::)

http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o254/bigedp51/IMGP6526.jpg

GaCop
11-01-2010, 07:23 AM
I was blessed a number of years ago when I got my hands on a BUNCH of Lake City 71, 82 and 86 National Match brass (.308) at Camp Lejeune.

For swaging my .223 and 30-06 military, the Dillon swager can't be beat.

earl39
11-02-2010, 11:15 AM
GaCop made me think about this. the match/long range brass does not have to be swaged since the primers are not crimped in like standard military/nato brass.
Gary

EricCartmann
11-02-2010, 11:53 AM
The LC LR stuff is the exact same as regular LC. LR basically lets you know 2 things: 1) Primer is not crimped in 2) It was exclusively shot from a bolt gun.

I have tons of regular LC stuff and for me it is just as accurate Lapua once you do a full-size it, use it, then follow with a neck size.