PDA

View Full Version : New to High Power Rifles.

Woodsman
01-30-2020, 09:35 AM
Hey Guys,

I’m new to high powered rifles. I’ve searched long and hard for what caliber I want to get. I’ve searched long and hard and bounced around between a few different cartridges. I’ve fully decided on the 7mm rem mag. At first I wanted the savage 110 Storm, but I really like the look of the savage 116 TH XP. I believe the 116 has pillar bedding, whereas the 110 has an aluminum bedding. I’ve read that the 116 stock is a bit flimsy.

Is one type of bedding better than the other?

Why is the Trophy hunter with a Nikon scope cheaper than the Storm?

Forgive me if this has been covered in a previous thread. I’m not the greatest at navigating through forums or trying to find specific answers to specific questions. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Swissfan
01-30-2020, 10:02 AM
The Storm has the accufit stock the 116 does not. The accufit stock has the aluminum bedding block the 116 just has the pillars. The stock on the 116 will be a bit more flimsy than the Storm. The difference in the stock will account for the price difference.

Woodsman
01-30-2020, 10:21 AM
Does the type of bedding and flimsy stock make a difference in accuracy?

Dave Hoback
01-30-2020, 10:44 AM
My opinion is but the lesser expensive. If this hobby is for you, you are ultimately going to want to replace the stock at some point in the future anyway. Although I can’t say the extra money for the Accufit stock would be a waste for you. You may find it’s perfect for your needs.

7mm RemMag is a fantastic cartridge! It’s a definite “Reach out & Touch Ya” caliber. I will recommend getting into reloading immediately if you don’t already. Don’t put it off. Because you wake up one day....years & years later, realizing you spent $THOUSANDS$ on factory ammo! I spent my entire youth shooting off the shelf crap! I didn’t get serious about it until my early 30’s. It’s not just savings, and accuracy increase you get....but most importantly the knowledge. Time dedicated to reloading gives you a much deeper knowledge base of firearms & shooting. You understand things that non reloaders can’t.

Welcome to the fold. I was introduced to high power rifles at age 12. A 30-06. And I remember thinking of it as “the finger of God”, compared to anything else I had fired. LOL! It has stuck with me ever since.

Woodsman
01-30-2020, 11:19 AM
I originally got excited about the 280 Ackley. I was afraid of ammo getting lost during plane travel if I ever went on a hunting trip and not being able to pick it up at any store, so I decided the 7mm rem mag was a good choice. I want this rifle to be my work horse. I originally wanted the 110 Storm, but I like the simplicity look of the 116 trophy hunter. I just want to become very proficient with whatever I get. I don’t want to get the 116 and wish I got something with an aluminum bedding block versus pillar. I’ve settled on a black stock with a stainless barrel.

As far as reloading, I’ve never done it but have pondered the idea.

MikeT124
01-30-2020, 11:55 AM
The best advise I can give you is to make sure the rifle you buy fits you perfectly especially in a magnum caliber. Shoulder the rifle rest your cheek on the comb, if the scope comes perfectly to your eye and the rifle feels perfectly comfortable on your shoulder you will probably be fine, if not it not the gun for you without modification to the stock. Non-adjustable rifles are built for the "average" person, avg height, weight, arm length etc. I am below average, so is my wife, we bought a pair of 110 Storms because they are adjustable, we were able to modify them so they fit each of us perfectly. Savage has at least one video on their website about h0w to properly fit a rifle to you. Shooting a rifle that is designed for a larger or smaller person can be a painful experience. My wife was able to shoot a Browning BAR in 30-06 3 or 4 rounds before it got painful, she now shoots her 110 Storm in 30-06 20 - 25 rounds no pain at all. Be careful in what you choose...Good Luck.

Mike

yobuck
01-30-2020, 12:32 PM
I think your making a mistake in choosing a magnum cartridge for your first high powered rifle.
Id be thinking hard about a 308 size case for your first rifle.
Several of the 6.5s or a 7mm08 would be the wiser choice in my opinion.
Any of those will allow for paper punching out to 1000 yds.
When you think your ready to reach out further, be doing it with something better than a 7 mm Rem Mag.

Dave Hoback
01-30-2020, 01:33 PM
You won’t regret your choice regardless. Although nice, the Accufit stock is not even close to the same level as many aftermarket stocks. You can get a 116, have a great time shooting & learning. Then research & choose the perfect aftermarket adjustable stock with aluminum bedding. I’m a builder, and I choose the cheapest diner rifle I can find. Because I enjoy building a rifle to MY specifications.

Of course that is not everyone’s path....however, replacing a stock is quite a normal endeavor in most long range shooters lives.

As for your caliber choice...I stick by what I said. 7mm Rem Mag is fantastic. I’m not exactly sure WHO this consensus is that chooses what calibers NEED to be first, and which are somehow BETTER than 7mm mag??? But then, my current setup is 6.5-08, so what do I know, LOL.

tobnpr
01-30-2020, 01:57 PM
I will echo the above sentiment regarding caution with the selection of the 7 mag, given that you say you are new to centerfires.

That's not a cartridge to "learn" with, formost shooters.

It's very easy, with a lightweight, magnum hunting rifle to develop a flinch when shooting- that can be difficult to undo.

Even if, it's what's needed for your hunting application- you likely would be better off developing basic marksmanship skills, trigger and breathing control, etc. with a rifle that's not going to pound you.

What is your specific application that led you to select the 7 Mag?

Woodsman
01-30-2020, 02:16 PM
I will echo the above sentiment regarding caution with the selection of the 7 mag, given that you say you are new to centerfires.

That's not a cartridge to "learn" with, formost shooters.

It's very easy, with a lightweight, magnum hunting rifle to develop a flinch when shooting- that can be difficult to undo.

Even if, it's what's needed for your hunting application- you likely would be better off developing basic marksmanship skills, trigger and breathing control, etc. with a rifle that's not going to pound you.

What is your specific application that led you to select the 7 Mag?

Right now I have a Marlin 30-30 that I hunt with. But I’ve been gaining interest in hunting out west. I don’t feel the 30-30 is up for the task if I was going to have to shoot out past 150 yards. Plus, in what I’ve researched, the 30-30 doesn’t have as much energy as some of these long range cartridges. For years, the 270 win was on my mind, but I’ve seen that one split down the middle. Some say it’s not good for anything larger than white tails or even mule deer. If I decided to go on an elk or moose hunt, I’d want something bigger. I figured the 7mm bullet split the difference between a 6.5mm and the .30 caliber which I believe is an 8mm. Idk why, but I’m just attracted to the longer cases. A group of people had me sold on the 280 Ackley. Sure, I can reload that round. But like I said before, I don’t want my 280 Ackley ammo to get lost of a hunting trip and now I can’t find any ammo to replace it. I figured if I were to have one “do-it-all” rifle, it would be somewhere in the middle. I know there’s really no such thing as a do-it-all rifle, but I’ve been racking my brain and going back and forth for the last few weeks and I’m getting drained researching this information.

tobnpr
01-30-2020, 02:49 PM
^^^
No shortcuts for energy needed at range for big game, and it's a solid choice.
My only concern about it was the ability to shoot it accurately; the 7 mag will have roughly twice the felt recoil of the .30-30.

Dave Hoback
01-30-2020, 03:02 PM
Your choice in 7mm mag is fine. This notion that a person need learn on a cap gun is absurd!

There is absolutely NO evidence that a “flinch” is anymore a problem with a new shooter shooting a high power cartridge, than an experienced shooter who is shooting a powerful cartridge the first time. This thought is grounded in nothing more than superstition!

What IS fact, is learning the fundamentals of shooting and practicing.... This remains factual REGARDLESS of what caliber one uses.

MikeT124
01-31-2020, 10:35 AM
Woodsman, In your last post you mentioned 280 Ackley and reloading, do you reload now? If so and you decide to go 7mm mag, the price of dies and components will allow you to load the 7mm down to the point of 30-30 recoil factor to begin with and allow you to practice and upload as you see fit until reaching full magnum loads. If you don't reload then the start-up costs may prove prohibitive for you depending on your budget. By the way 30 caliber is 7.62mm.

Mike

tobnpr
01-31-2020, 03:12 PM
Your choice in 7mm mag is fine. This notion that a person need learn on a cap gun is absurd!

There is absolutely NO evidence that a “flinch” is anymore a problem with a new shooter shooting a high power cartridge, than an experienced shooter who is shooting a powerful cartridge the first time. This thought is grounded in nothing more than superstition!

What IS fact, is learning the fundamentals of shooting and practicing.... This remains factual REGARDLESS of what caliber one uses.

Factual, based on what?

Woodsman
01-31-2020, 07:16 PM
Woodsman, In your last post you mentioned 280 Ackley and reloading, do you reload now? If so and you decide to go 7mm mag, the price of dies and components will allow you to load the 7mm down to the point of 30-30 recoil factor to begin with and allow you to practice and upload as you see fit until reaching full magnum loads. If you don't reload then the start-up costs may prove prohibitive for you depending on your budget. By the way 30 caliber is 7.62mm.

Mike

No, I do not reload. I’ve looked into it a couple years ago, but wasn’t shooting enough to worry about it. Where I live, if you don’t have a lot of land or get into a gun club, the public ranges can just be a hassle. I’m working on getting into a club now. Once I’m in, I’ll try to shoot weekly.

I will probably read into reloading for the next few months, to the point where I obsess about it until I spend the money on equipment lol. But I appreciate the info.

charlie b
01-31-2020, 08:00 PM
Yes, you may develop a flinch with a heavier recoiling rifle. But, it can be overcome easily with proper technique. Just be aware that your shooting technique is MUCH more important with the new rifle than it is with your lever action, especially as ranges increase.

FWIW, that is probably the downside to learning to shoot with a lighter recoiling rifle, you can get away with sloppier technique and still get some pretty decent accuracy.

For your use I would not fault your choice. If I were to get an all around rifle for game up to elk size then the 7Mag and .30-06 would both be high on the list.

PhilC
01-31-2020, 08:40 PM
I like all things 7mm, happen to have a 110 in 7RM, gave my son a 280Rem, and a 7-08Rem to my wife, now my DIL's. I load for each of them. I don't find the 7RM to be at all unpleasant to shoot, and in my case it's a plain jane 110 with a butt plate no recoil pad. My deer load has been a 150gr BT and for elk 160PT, both sub MOA.

Now, is the 7RM one for bench work punching holes in paper, not IMO, at least not mine. For recoil sensitive people, and yes there are folks who can't handle magnum level recoil, it along with other magnum rounds aren't the best choice. I can tell you this much, I never heard the shot nor felt the recoil when I pulled down on game. I practiced enough to be confident a cold bore shot would hit POA at range I was comfortable shooting and it always put meat in the freezer!

I will always remember the first deer I shot with my 7RM and my own loads extremely rewarding. The 7RM also accounted for my largest mule deer taken at 350yds with 150gr BT, was bang flop DRT.

Yep, I do like the big 7. ;-)

Mr.Snerdly
02-01-2020, 11:24 PM
I think your making a mistake in choosing a magnum cartridge for your first high powered rifle.
Id be thinking hard about a 308 size case for your first rifle.
Several of the 6.5s or a 7mm08 would be the wiser choice in my opinion.
Any of those will allow for paper punching out to 1000 yds.
When you think your ready to reach out further, be doing it with something better than a 7 mm Rem Mag.

I'm pretty new member but have a little experience with rifles long before I got the 2 Savages but I think the Magnum might not be the best to start with. I have never liked hard recoiling rifles. I have nothing bigger than a 243 and that can be enough with a light rifle. Of course, I am kind of a sissy when it comes to recoil. A Magnum might not bother you at all but I wouldn't start with that caliber.