PDA

View Full Version : Timney Triggers and safety problem

Sponxx
10-31-2010, 04:54 PM
Hello guys. just finished installing a Timney trigger on my Savage 110 with factory wooden stock and realized that when placing the action back in the stock the safety will not fully slide back and engage positively. It does prevent the gun from firing, but it does not "click". I am not sure if the new trigger system is touching anything, but I bet so since the safety engages just fine off the stock and even on it, unless I tighten the rear action screw.
Any ideas?

pablo

hotbrass
10-31-2010, 05:20 PM
Operator/intaller error. Very common.

Of course you didnt bother contacting Timney did you? ::)

Try a competent gunsmith.

dcloco
10-31-2010, 05:29 PM
Is there enough room in the action opening at the trigger area? Some stocks need to be inletted when aftermarket triggers are installed.

Use a black/purple/red/yellow/whatevercolored sharpie, paint the rear of the trigger assembly, install in stock, then check the stock/trigger for contact points.

Sponxx
10-31-2010, 07:11 PM
hotbrass, no I did not get ahold of anyone at Timney on a Sunday. What "common" installer errors are there? I double checked the installation instructions and as I said, when not sitting on the stock, the safety engages just fine, and won't allow the gun to fire, but it just wont "click" when tightening the rear action screw. I don't like a gun that does not have a positive click when the safety is moved on or off.

dcloco, thanks for the tip. There seems to be plenty of room in the back and the size of the trigger sets are equal.

Any other ideas?

hotbrass
10-31-2010, 08:49 PM
Sorry I dashed that reply off rather quickly and it does sound bad. My apology.

Has the stock been bedded? Sounds like you are flexing the action and maybe the rear tang needs some relief if there is plenty of stock clearance in the fire control group inletting.

Sponxx
11-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Hotbrass apology accepted, I was gonna fire back, then I dsaw the smiley, reread it a couple of times and felt like probably you weren't trying to be so harsh...
The gun is not bedded (planning on doing it today) and even though the tang floats it might some torquing of the action as the safety moves freely until I tighten the rear action screw. I inletted a little more in the trigger area and still had the same results. More to follow as I try to fix this. Haven't touched it since lsst week and didn't get to call Timney before they closed during the week.

Slowpoke Slim
11-07-2010, 11:48 AM
When I put the Timney in my Vanguard, it did the same thing. It's rubbing somewhere against the wood. If you look closely, you'll probably see the spot in the wood, or better yet, try the ink idea, you'll see it rub the ink off where it's touching.

Blue Avenger
11-07-2010, 12:01 PM
it may not be the trigger, it could be the sear rubbing on the side of the stock.
the trigger may be longer then the guard allows and rubbing on the bottom of the guard. some of the old guards were smaller.

texwelder
11-07-2010, 10:04 PM
I had this same problem on a build using an AICS stock. Remove the barreled action from the stock an engage and disengage the safety while observing the slide pin on the side of the trigger body. You will notice that the pin projects out of the body 1/8" to 3/16". As was stated above, mark this pin with a sharpie or chalk, then reinstall the barreled action. Actuate the safety several times. Remove the barreled action, then inlet or remove the stock material where the marks appear.

Hope this helps,

texwelder

gotcha
11-07-2010, 11:33 PM
pablo, You might want to check the wood @ the rear trigger guard screw where it will poke threw just under the trigger group. The wood at the tip of the screw will tend to "blossum" just enough to inhibit full cycling of the cocking action of the bolt. Dale

Sponxx
11-13-2010, 06:39 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions... I finally bedded the gun and now the safety works flawlessly, though I haven't shot the gun yet.
Prior to bedding I tried all the trick to find out where exactly the safety was rubbing, for sure there was enough room in the trigger area, but I still did some inletting where it appeared to be tighter. Did not work, and did not seem like the pin or the sear were rubbing. I placed a folded piece of paper on the area of the rear action screw (thus raising the action) and the problem went away, so it must have been something in the area of the tang (now really free floated).
Thanks for all the help.
I will post some pics of the bedding process - not as neat as Lion's pictures, but helps with the idea.