PDA

View Full Version : A Little Sight Project

gbflyer
01-21-2020, 01:07 AM
Posted this over at Practical Machinist for the experts to pick apart, thought it might be interesting to some here too.

I really like the little Rossi R92 lever guns. They have that goofy “Hillary” safety on the top of the bolt. People have been, for years, removing them and plugging the hole or using the peep sight from Steve’s Gunz. It’s a nice sight but I’ve never liked the looks of it with the lock nut and the #8 size Skinner aperture post is just wimpy. The adapter is super sloppy, no doubt there is considerable variation in the hole size so they have to make it a fit-all.

I’ve been fumbling around and finally came up with prototype #1. I machined this adapter from 6061 and used an aperture post from XS Sights. I lost my 4-40 set screw so it’s not shown. I’m not sure about the longevity of my material choice, and have ordered some 303 stainless stock for prototype #2. I’m going to use hex, I think it will look better.

I’ll have to come up with a custom tap for the stainless, (threaded the steel post right into the aluminum with no threading) so I emailed Dave Manson about grinding me one. He replied, on Sunday, and offered to let me use one that he built for a similar adaptation but as a backup sight in a scope base. If I like it he said he’d make me my own. What an incredible example of what customer service should be in the gun biz. I can’t say enough good things about those guys!

Nothing that many others haven’t already done but a fun Winter project anyway. And I’m easily impressed[emoji1]

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200121/2a4ec05cc6cf340821f53b0fe261e555.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20200121/1cb0bffac581038cb1bdd042f26d09e0.jpg

Bill2905
01-21-2020, 07:52 PM
I like the concept. I have a Skinner sight on my Henry and while I love it, I also agree with your assessment of the post. It looks and feels like it could be easily broken off by an accidental impact.

daved20319
01-24-2020, 12:09 PM
Check out 7075 aluminum vs. SS, lots easier to machine, similar specs to mild steel, and a little cheaper than SS IIRC. Machines nicer than 6061, and takes anodizing just as well. Nice job, BTW. Later.